Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Getting contour lines from a mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know how to apply 2d contour lines to a mesh such that the mesh takes on the 3-d characteristics of my 2-d survey; I'm wondering if there's a way to go the other way.

That is if I start with a mesh and manipulate the mesh by elevating nodes, just generally shifting parts of the mesh around can I then have it tell me what the contour lines are? I am reminded of a tool, which I believe was called "contour", in Form-Z which I always used for making cnc templates out of irregular objects.

Basically, I'd like to be able to just grab points on a mesh, move them where ever the new architecture suggests they should be and then have ArchiCAD tell me what the contours would be.
26 REPLIES 26
Nader Belal
Mentor
Comments ?
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
vdentello
Advocate
11 Years later, does the same solution still apply? Only through intersected Meshes?
GH Solution shouldn't apply to this case, buying another software shoudn't be necessary.
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. There is an old wish here for a New Landscape Tool that includes automatic mesh contours. Probably you already voted.
Meanwhile, you could try Contour Generator by Daniel Kovacs.
I haven't checked it yet, but by the curriculum of the father of the child, I bet this is awesome.
Cheers,
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

I just came across this thread. Unfortunately, as of now we do not have a native solution for this problem yet. However, as Braza mentioned, the Contour Generator Tool is a quick and easy way to generate the contour line from Meshes. We made an article on how to use the tool here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/96850/

(Fun fact: this is my first article for Help Center )

Have a great weekend!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

runxel
Legend
There actually is some kind of native solution, okay well, a workaround, but it's in fact quite neat. And it is live!
While the use of an object was already mentioned, I propose Morph surfaces spaced along the Z axis in the distance you want your contour lines to show.

You will use the rarely utilized "intersection" SEO with the Morphsurface as target (sic!) and the mesh as operator.
A more detailed version is written here (german, but you'll get the spirit; it has pictures! :P)
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Minh. This solution is very straight forward and useful information for the Help Center.

@runxel
This is a brilliant solution too. Another advantage of this technic is that you can also generate Floor Plan sensitive live contour lines for existing, demolished and new terrains/meshes with the same morphs.
Thanks a lot!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another advantage of runxel's technic, is that you can associate a tag to each individual morph with its elevation autotext and generate automatic level dimensions.