Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to crash AC12 - Complex Profiles and Sketch Render

Eduardo Rolon
I was teaching an AC class yesterday and managed to crash every single AC12 session, Mac and Win, 16 in total.

Procedure;

1. Open the attached mod file
2. Open the 3D window and select "save view and place on layout"
3. Open the view settings and change the 3D settings from "3D Window" to "Photo render…"
4. Update the placed view, it should be Sketch Render.
5. Switch to the 3D view
6. Open Complex Profiles and select the "00 crash" profile.
7. Still in the 3D window apply the profile to the 3 walls, it is the same as already applied.
8. Without deselecting the walls, switch to the Layout without going to the floor plan first either Exposé or clicking on the Navigator is ok.
9. CRASH
___
AFAIK it has to do with the curved profiled walls if they are straight sometimes it does not work.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

20 REPLIES 20
Karl Ottenstein
TomWaltz wrote:
It's a matter of priority. Do you want 2 less polygons or a rendering that looks right?
I want both. All edges still can be assigned custom materials. The extra polygons add nothing but risk IMHO.

I agree about the trees thing...or even the 3D people (who each have over 6,000 polygons). But, I think that it is just as fast to do profiles with minimal polygons as it is to do offsets...and it is part of modeling precisely. One never knows when imprecision may come back to bite.

For magic-wanded curvy things that are then applied to curved walls, etc., or multiplied, the polycount can have an impact...and the model is not accurate anyway. Depending on where the little gaps appear (vs changing fills), some rendering engines will 'leak light', etc.

There could come a time when someone will want to dimension the profile elements in some cut view and will have a surprise with how things add up, or export things to dwg, and have the autocad guy scratching his head over the gap/etc.

Suppose you need a hotspot in your profile where the break occurs. If the break is created by an offset - which point gets the hotspot? If the user aligns other building elements with the hotspot, how will things dimension (particularly after cumulative dimensions, or perhaps a relative-distance multiply)?

Just my 2 cents,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB