Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you go about creating this? (accurately)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a rough model of part of a building concept at University. I'm quite familiar with the tools in ArchiCAD but since this structure is not 'typical' the tools don't seem to accommodate, or at least not in the way I would like them to.

I've tried creating this elevation (image attached of model) with a mesh, since the outlines of the elevation were created in ArchiCAD (2D fill), however, I can't rotate the Mesh on the y axis i.e it's drawn on plan but in 3D it needs to be rotates 90 degrees so it becomes a wall.

I've also tried creating each piece of the wall using OBJECTiVE but again, this takes far too long and I'm still left with empty spaces on the wall. ( the Model shows that there are walls protruding inside and outside of other elements)

I guess the mesh could work but it's just that it doesn't look like it can be rotated in 3D.

Thank you for your help.

PS I know the concept may look 'crazy' ( well contemporary architecture) but that's what they want in Architecture school these days...

photo.JPG
49 REPLIES 49
Dwight
Newcomer
Roof planes manipulated in 2D AND 3D.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can roof planes be edited like a mesh or do they only stay as one plane?...How would I go about filling in gaps where the roof has been rotated if the roof does not edit like a mesh.? I'm at work at the moment so I can't test it for myself but want to 'prepare'.

Thank You.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
NStocks:

1. Using Mesh: you can save ArchiCAD elements as library parts, when saving them you choose which side is up so you can rotate the Mesh. For more information with images, go to Help > ArchiCAD Help, when your browser opens click on the "Search" tab, and input "Saving 3D Models as Objects" in the search box, in the results list "Saving 3D Models as Objects" will lead to detailed information.

2. Using Roofs: Each plane would be one roof, so you would need as many roofs as there are planes. You can select and stretch roof nodes in the 3D Window so they meet other to create your design.

Neither of these solutions will accept windows and doors, so creating openings will be another issue.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
NStocks:

1. Using Mesh: you can save ArchiCAD elements as library parts, when saving them you choose which side is up so you can rotate the Mesh. For more information with images, go to Help > ArchiCAD Help, when your browser opens click on the "Search" tab, and input "Saving 3D Models as Objects" in the search box, in the results list "Saving 3D Models as Objects" will lead to detailed information.

2. Using Roofs: Each plane would be one roof, so you would need as many roofs as there are planes. You can select and stretch roof nodes in the 3D Window so they meet other to create your design.

Neither of these solutions will accept windows and doors, so creating openings will be another issue.

David
Windows and doors are fine, as long as I can create roofs/mesh that are translucent or that use glass materials. Again the school doesn't 'like' us to use a standard 2MX1.8M high door, or even a square door... The image I posted: the front part i.e closest to the camera is part of the 'front entrance'...

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I'm trying to model this with the roof tool, however If I want the wall (roof) to be 90 degrees from the floor, the roof becomes a really odd shape and nothing like what I drew in 2D.

Attached is some of the elements drawn in 2D, at 45 degrees. The other elements that is 89 degrees (max roof angle) is not what I drew on Plan. I will also need to rotate elements between 90 and 120 degrees, is the roof able to do that?

Other that these issues, it looks like it will work perfectly

Thank You
Dwight
Newcomer
Yup. 89 degrees. Close enough for you. Or use the roofs to trim a vertical wall.

A 120 degree roof is a 60 degree roof sloping the other way.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I change the angle to 89 degrees, the roof becomes distorted. Like instead of it being 3M high, it looks like 30M high . As soon as I go past 90 degrees, this happens.

Even if I turn it the other way, as soon as I change the angle it becomes a different shapes, rather than just a different angle.
Dwight
Newcomer
The roof is a different size whenever you change slope.
But it always stays the same in plan.
That is how roofs work.

What you need to do is manipulate the roof in 3D.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I draw the roof in Plan I can only change the angle. I can't 'rotate' the roof on the Y axis, only X which is not what I need. If I manipulate it in 3D (if you mean move nodes) then the design will diminish rapidly as it will become to complex/messy.