cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Is it possible to select something to hide it in 3Dwindow?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now you have to select - marquee what you want to see in the 3D window.
I want to do the opposite - I want to select the objects I want to hide.

Is it possible to do that? Some hidden command to do that?
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
mr wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

To solve the problem it is a matter of one line! in Archicad´s programming code:
IF NOT SELECTED -> SHOW
as an alternative to the line now bringing us the mess to have to deselect from:
IF SELECTED -> SHOW

Just one line!

Hopefully there are some Archicad programmer trying to fix the missing line!

Hopefully there are a lot of users demanding this!
So let us demand this simple line in Archicad:
IF NOT SELECTED -> SHOW
You are making a lot of assumptions here that you can't possibly know. It might be simple to implement but I can think of plenty of reasons why it might not. I also know that I have NO idea of what it would actually require. Why are you so sure of yourself?

Also the workaround for this is really not difficult and the tools ArchiCAD provides for constraining, accumulating and deaccumulating selections are so far advanced over both Revit and SketchUp that I find your comparisons disingenuous.

Are you here looking for help or just to complain that GS isn't immediately jumping to give you what you want?
rob2218
Enthusiast
no need to get hostile here.
I failed to mention that I've been the last 7 years doing Archicad.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
NandoMogollon
Expert
coming back to the original issue, and in case there are other new users getting the same frustration I will offer a few ideas to do the same, just not with the same clicks:

Marquee:

If you come from the revit world, you will love it, is like the scope box but with any shape you like and you can define it before you jump into the 3D window ( axo or perspective). You can either select to show what is inside or outside the marquee.

By Selection:

Simply put: Selected -Show. not selected or unselected? well it will not show. as easy as select- hide.

By Element type:

Again if coming from revit, this works as hide by category. Just have to get into 3D window and click [ctrl + Alt + A] in PC or [Cmmd + Opt + A] in MAC, and select - deselect the type of elements you don't want to see in that view.

By Cutting Planes:

An old fashioned method, [Ctrl+Shift+Y] will show a window to cut planes away from the current view... sometimes useful.

For what I think you are trying to do a simple process of selecting what you want to see ( let say Ctrl +A for everything) show everything in 3D, the Ctrl+A again, and then deselect what you don't want to see. Right click and show selection in 3D. This would refresh the 3D window filter to the current 3D window.

Save it as View for future reference if you want.

Cheers and have fun! is Friday after all
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
As I can understand both of you have used Archicad for a long time.

Perhaps - your feelings are: "It is my program" and you have to defend it.
But to defend something you have to make a retreat - understanding that the sun also has its shadows - to improve the program. It is about to listen to other users of the program.

As a user you have to trust the programmers. Hopefully some programmer listens to our discussion - one line of code - needed.

Hopefully I am not alone demanding that line of code to make Archicad so much better!
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks for that explanation....

p.s.
your work (on your website) is fantastic! kudos.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
mr wrote:
As I can understand both of you have used Archicad for a long time.

Perhaps - your feelings are: "It is my program" and you have to defend it.
But to defend something you have to make a retreat - understanding that the sun also has its shadows - to improve the program. It is about to listen to other users of the program.

As a user you have to trust the programmers. Hopefully some programmer listens to our discussion - one line of code - needed.

Hopefully I am not alone demanding that line of code to make Archicad so much better!
I have also used Revit for a long time and am not so much defending ArchiCAD as pointing out ways to accomplish what you want and why ArchiCAD's tools are superior to Revit's despite the latter having one specific function that ArchiCAD accomplishes by different means. As a rule I prefer not to use the hide function in Revit as it is much harder to track and control than using filters and such.

If you feel this feature is important you can start a topic in one of the wish list subforums. Graphisoft does listen to our requests. (They have probably implemented more of mine over the years than most but then I've been yammering on about this stuff for a long time). I might even be convinced that this feature could be important if it really is easy to implement and doesn't have negative interface and consistency implications. Feature requests posted in non-wishlist forums such as this are less likely to get attention.

Sorry to be a bit harsh but I do find your presumption that this is a matter of a "single line of code" to be rather annoying.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad 16:
Right click and show selection in 3D

Archicad 17 will give us the alternatives?
Right click - show selection in 3D
and
Right click - don´t show selection in 3D

Just so simple. I believe I am not alone wanting the alternatives.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mr wrote:
Archicad 16:
Right click and show selection in 3D

Archicad 17 will give us the alternatives?
Right click - show selection in 3D
and
Right click - don´t show selection in 3D

Just so simple. I believe I am not alone wanting the alternatives.
So start the topic in the wish list.
NandoMogollon
Expert
I forgot a more typical approach for "Global Hides", and this is actually a good trick Mr GG:

By Hidden layer:

In general if you want to Globally hide an element without deleting it, You need to:
  • 1-Create a "Hidden Layer" which should be Off in all your Layer Combinations.
    2-Choose a Layer priority number unused by other Layers - this is to separate it from making joints and connections with other elements in the model-
    3-Move the elements you want to hide to that Hidden Layer.
This is very useful for more permanent hides across the file.
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
mr wrote:
Now you have to select - marquee what you want to see in the 3D window.
I want to do the opposite - I want to select the objects I want to hide.

Is it possible to do that? Some hidden command to do that?
Select all - Shift-Click on the items you don't want to see ( that is to say de-select them ) - press F5. This will display everything you still have selected in 3D.

What I would like to have is a way in 3d mode to select a couple of items and have only those things shown in 2d/plan view.

I want to have a shortcut like F5 for going the other way. 3d to 2d rather than only 2d to 3d.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!