Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issue with a morphed slab

Aussie John
Newcomer
Hi have an element made from a slab - rectangle with a half round end. If I convert to morph and apply a radius edge the curve is slightly different to the straight line (leaving a small raised junction) - In the section you can see the different radius of the curve in the background and in the 3 d a change in the reflection.

I have actually printed this in 3d and the bump is real.

Any thoughts on how to generate this correctly.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
7 REPLIES 7
DGSketcher
Legend
Morphs are prone to faceting which is where the bump may have come from.

I would look at at forming this with a slab and adding a perimeter wall with a custom profile containing the curved edge. Not sure how that works with 3D printing but in modelling terms you may get a more accurate representation.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Carstenem
Expert
Try to double segment the morph a couple of times. Do it twice first and see if that helps. Morph needs to be selected.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Barry Kelly
Carstenem wrote:
Try to double segment the morph a couple of times. Do it twice first and see if that helps. Morph needs to be selected.

I am not sure this will help as it seems that the chamfer facet size on the straight edge is different to the one on the curved edge.

The only thing I can think of is to create a flat morph polygon that is the shape of the chamfer you want. and then tube it around the slab.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Carstenem
Expert
Yes that is annoying but still worth a try to double the segments. The more segments you get the less the difference between the straight and curved facet. I like your suggestion Barry, that could work just fine.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Aussie John
Newcomer
Barry wrote:
The only thing I can think of is to create a flat morph polygon that is the shape of the chamfer you want. and then tube it around the slab.
Barry.
Barry
After pondering it for a while that was my thought too.
Tube is a bit of a pain as the profile has to be coded in segments although I fairly sure the XY plane curve can use the additional status codes.
I don't suppose you still have the GDL for the tube you setup?
cheers John

Cheers John
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Barry Kelly
That wasn't GDL that I did.
Just a slab with a curved end.
Add a polygon morph to one end and then use pet palette tube option to extrude it around the slab.

If I was scripting this then i would probably just use FPRISM or HPRISM.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello All,

I looked at it and it definitely looks like a bug, I added it to our list (#254344). Interestingly enough, when you select a single straight edge on a morph and fillet it, then it works file, but if you have multiple edges selected, then the curve won't be tangential to the faces.

I think what Barry did, is just create the curve manually from a flat morph, and then use the tube method from the pet palette to extrude it. I also tried that, and it works like a charm. I think this is the best workaround until a fix.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit