BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trapezoidal Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having trouble creating a wall elevation - 3 storey building - external wall is 200mm thick, 7200mm wide at the top storey and tapers to 4200mm at the ground floor slab - very new at ArchiCAD - how do I create a tapered wall like this? Talk real slow please as I'm a slow reader. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212,

Material textures work best on flat planes, they may not align when used with sloped walls or especially curved walls.

BUT, you can force the material texture to align in 3D by using the Design>Align 3D texture>Set Origin command. To use it: you must be in the 3D window, select your wall first, then use the "set origin".

Because you are using a complex profile, I'm not sure this will work. You might need to add a node on the point joining the upper straight wall and slanted wall. This node will create two material surfaces, each one can have its origin set independently.

When I created this with a roof trim operation, both textures and wall joins looked good. I've included an image showing 1: how it looked when I created it, and 2 using set origin to move the texture off a little just to show the effect.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
Ingolf and Snapcrackle
This started off as a fun diversion (based on Ingolf's post) from my real project and I learned a few things.

However luckily overloaded with work right now so I'll explore more of each of your suggestions at a latter date, especially as there seems to be multitudes of ways to approach this kind of wall and (on top of that) it's a very unlikely wall to build in a residence, (which is all I do).

But it was fun and general concepts can be used other ways I'm sure.
Thanks for the lessons and challenges:-))
lec
Learn and get certified!