cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Zone Area Gross Calculation Wrong

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems that if the gross or net polygon shapes are both reporting the "NET" area. In my screen Shot the "GARAGE" zone is first zone Geometry method (all call it the Tracing Method) the tracing is of the wall reference lines. The zone Labeled "GARAGE2" is using the third icon in the Info Box and the Gross radio button is selected. Areas should be the same..........

From Help Manual:

You can choose between the display of gross or net polygon shapes. These two radio buttons are only active if the zone is defined by the reference line construction method (third icon in the Info Box).

If you choose the Net option, the zone polygon will not be displayed beyond the inner edge of the boundary walls.
Select the Gross radio button if you want the full zone polygon displayed.

Zone Area Gross Calculation Wrong.JPG
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a Test with a 10' x 10' Room.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It works for me the same way it does for you.
However, that qoute from the manual says that this applies to the DISPLAY of the Zone polygon, not the area calculation of it.
So probably therein lies the answer to your question.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, I am no where near GDL literate, but I will ask anyway if there is a way to ALSO calculate the area based on the display of the Zone polygon. This seems like what should happen anyway but I will concede that some may only want the "Floor" Area. We are almost always required to report the area to the "outside" of the wall.

I thought it was great to be able to associate my Zones to the Grouped exterior walls and therefore have the area automatically (After a zone Update of course, Semi-automatic) after the walls have any kind of change. But if the area is always reported as within the walls, this is no good for me.................
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the 2D script of the Zone Stamp, you should look for the string 'ROOM_CALC_AREA'. This is a Global variable in GDL and it contains the calculated area of the Zone polygon.

The variable you are probably after is ROOM_AREA.

There is an article about these variables at:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/zonefixparameters.html

Change instances of ROOM_CALC_AREA to ROOM_AREA in the 2D Script and see it that is what you need (backup your GDL file before modifying it).

In the Zone stamp I am using, there is a line:

rman= ROOM_CALC_AREA

I changed this to

rman= ROOM_AREA

and it reported the areas you need.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Is there a way to have the zone stamp display the length and width of the Zone? It seems it has every other possible variable in it. I'm using zone identifier 2 (AC9).

The stamp must already have those values; it's calculating the area, volume, etc.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the Help that worked. Well, at least it now Always reports the Area to the outside of the wall.... even with the Zone Polygon selected as net (showing only the inside of the walls). Looks as if I need to set-up two different Zone stamps (and therefore Zone Categories) if I want the Zone Polygon display to match the Zone Area.

If I start using two different zone Stamps and categories this creates troubles with my Interactive Schedule which I have created for Zone areas. I like to sort by Zone Category now, but if I had to create two different Zone Categories for my heated space they would be two sortings for the heated space which I do Not want.

Well, the answer seems to either only use my new Room_Area calculation Zone or convert the Zone Area to the Polyline construction method.
New Zone Area Gross.JPG
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Tom wrote:
Is there a way to have the zone stamp display the length and width of the Zone? It seems it has every other possible variable in it. I'm using zone identifier 2 (AC9).

The stamp must already have those values; it's calculating the area, volume, etc.
I don't think this is possible, I know of no such GDL commnad or Global variable that would provide this data.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jay wrote:
Thanks for the Help that worked. Well, at least it now Always reports the Area to the outside of the wall.... even with the Zone Polygon selected as net (showing only the inside of the walls). Looks as if I need to set-up two different Zone stamps (and therefore Zone Categories) if I want the Zone Polygon display to match the Zone Area.
Or you could create a new parameter in the 2D Script of your Zone Stamp. Depending on the state of this parameter, ArchiCAD would use either ROOM_AREA or ROOM_CALC_AREA in its calculations.
This way one Zone Stamp Object is enough.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Las , any chance of explaining the "baby-steps" to add this Parameter. Sorry about the Beginner GDL Question....