Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

columns and beams don't show

KeesW
Advocate
Maybe there are more changes in AC17 than I thought. I've noticed that columns don't show on floor plans if they are located in walls. I've tried bringing them to the front and I've tried using the AUS default empty fill option (blue) for the composite wall's interior, in case it is masking the columns, but no luck so far. The same columns don't show in 3D views, with the walls shown as wireframe, either. Also, working in floor plan, beams can't be inserted over existing walls either.Very annoying. Maybe I should go back to reading the instructions.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
4 REPLIES 4
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Regarding the Column, select both the Column and Wall then open the Building Materials dialogue and check the Intersection Priorities of the Column skin compared to the Wall skins. I think that the Column skin is much lower so the priority based connections in AC17 are cutting the Column away (due to collision). Try moving the column so it's only half in the Wall first to see if that is the case.

Hope that helps.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
KeesW
Advocate
I've checked intersection priorities and steel for columns is 800 while timber studs are 500. When I move the column it clearly shows the wall obscuring the higher rated column. Obviously, the problem is not priorities - but what is it?
column wall junction.JPG
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
KeesW wrote:
I've checked intersection priorities and steel for columns is 800 while timber studs are 500. When I move the column it clearly shows the wall obscuring the higher rated column. Obviously, the problem is not priorities - but what is it?
Check if there aren't elements on other layers in the same place as this stud Wall with a higher priority. Also, select the Column and Wall then open the Building Materials (sort by selection column) - and post a screenshot. That might help us.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
KeesW
Advocate
Thank you. It was a priority issue which I thought that I'd changed - but obviously didn't.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman