BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating vertical weatherboards..

Anonymous
Not applicable
i should make it known that i am a relatively newcomer to archicad, so the answer could be in front of me - i would just not know it.
i was wondering how one might go about creating wall profiles with vertical weatherboards visible in 3D. I noticed that the standard walls accessories do not accommodate such a thing and it would be quite an exercise to use complex column profiles when it comes to windows and openings.
Any help would be appreciated..
18 REPLIES 18
Szabolcs Miko
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Actually, I just tried, it would be also possible and better to use the new CW tool in AC22 (it would be a bit more elaborate but still you can also make it with the old Tool if necessary).
Check the attached pictures. I used two curtain walls, why? Because we have to think about the frames intersecting with each other, and it's also better performance wise.

Szabolcs Mikó

Education Program Manager

Karl Griffith
Booster
I think this is the thread for the GDL object

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=58432
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Carstenem
Expert
I contacted Heimo and he gave me this link. It's a AC21 file including the library part which will be associated to the walls you select through - design extras - Accessories - wall Accessories.

There is some stuff missing in the download file as it is not a .pla just ignore, download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf0ya8nxvww3nb2/Fassadenpaneel-Teilungen%208.bpn?dl=0

Video on how to use it ( in german but it's pretty straight forward, you can follow without sound )

To get it into your ARCHICAD file and use it just save it out of the library from the download file then open your ARCHICAD file and load it in, see image attached.

MANY THANKS TO HEIMO MOOSLECHNER !

Cheers Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Lingwisyer
Guru
Szabolcs wrote:
We can also create a cladding using the Railing Tool

The issue with doing this is when you come across wall openings. In these cases, you will need to convert your railing into a morph then SOE it as I do not recall being able to SOE a railing object. At this point, using a railing becomes less of a convenience than using a Complex Profile straight.

Szabolcs wrote:
Actually, I just tried, it would be also possible and better to use the new CW tool in AC22 (it would be a bit more elaborate but still you can also make it with the old Tool if necessary).
Check the attached pictures. I used two curtain walls, why? Because we have to think about the frames intersecting with each other, and it's also better performance wise.

Can you apply a profile to the CW panel? Or are you using the frames as your cladding surface?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Szabolcs Miko
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
In AC22 we can use profiled panels, but that's for the edges not the panel itself.

HOWEVER, if the Panel uses a Surface which has a vectorial hatching and a texture with a proper bump and displacement channel, we could reduce our number of polygons and achieve the same result.

Szabolcs Mikó

Education Program Manager

Lingwisyer
Guru
Szabolcs wrote:
HOWEVER, if the Panel uses a Surface which has a vectorial hatching and a texture with a proper bump and displacement channel, we could reduce our number of polygons and achieve the same result.

I believe the aim was a way to create cladding what can be easily detailed, in which case the use of a texture does not meet the requirements. In the grand scheme of things I might be better to leave the model using textures and just detail it manually in 2d due to model complexity.

Ling.

Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
In the grand scheme of things I might be better to leave the model using textures and just detail it manually in 2d due to model complexity.
Yes.
Even if modelled correctly in 3D, the details from that model may still not be accurate enough.
Plus depending on how much panelling you have and how detailed it is, you will be adding a lot more polygons into you model size.
If you can get away with a texture for presentation and a hatch for documentation on your surfaces, then i would recommend that, and make your own details.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Carstenem
Expert
BIM Barry BIM ! Just kidding that's probably the way to go to make life easier in documentation.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Lingwisyer
Guru
Carstenem wrote:
BIM Barry BIM !

All about the information, less about the model. The layer/wall representing your cladding can contain all the required information. Still BIM!

Ling.

Learn and get certified!