cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

grid element tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I place a column line with the grid element tool. Once placed I cannot stretch. The stretch option does not show up in the pet palette. Anyone have a clue why this would happen? Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is the Grid Element grouped with one or more other Grid Elements?
If they are and Groups are not suspended, the Move Node button will not appear in the Pet Palette, you will see only 5 icons in the Pet Palette.
If you suspend Groups, the six, Move Node button appears and you can stretch Grid Elements.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo! Deleted all grid elements. Have grouping toggled in suspend mode. Draw new grid element. I get 6 pet palette options including the move button. With the move button I am only allowed to stagger not stretch....hmmmm
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Out of the two purple diamond shaped hotspots drag the one closer to the end of the Element, that is what is used for stretching. The other one is used for staggering.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I get only the stagger option from the purple nodes at both ends. Can we say I have a bug? ArchiCAD 17 USA 6004 Win64 FULL

thanks
Karl Ottenstein
Cary wrote:
I get only the stagger option from the purple nodes at both ends. Can we say I have a bug? ArchiCAD 17 USA 6004 Win64 FULL
You're grabbing the wrong editable (diamond) hotspot... ambiguity over Laszlo's use of "closer to the end". See the Help here:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/documentation/annotation/the...

The hotspot at the far end, near the ID bubble gives you 'stagger' to stagger the bubble. (Note the Help has the wrong icon in the pet palette... at least for the Mac, I see a 4 headed arrow icon, standard 'move' icon.)

The hotspot inside of that ... to the end of the internal line ... is what stretches the grid line itself.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl. I don't get 4 purple nodes as shown in the help center link only 2. Those 2 occur where line segment meets circle marker. Those 2 only stagger. Is there a setting somewhere that is causing the other 2 nodes not to appear?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just copied a grid element over from ArchiCAD 14 and it works fine.
Karl Ottenstein
Strange. Is the standard 17 library loaded, and you applied the update to the library last year? (Help > Check for Updates will let you know if the library is up to date.)

The grid marker is a library part, so that's the only thing I can think of to explain seeing only 2 vs 4 editable hotspots.

Using the default US template (verifies issue is in a project and not in the system) - I see two hotspots as shown in the attached on the end of grid lines that have labels. Unlabeled ends only have the length stretch hotspot.
Screen Shot 2014-06-14 at 12.02.52 PM.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you select the problematic Grid Element, what is the Staggering value in the Floor Plan panel of its Settings Dialog? If it is very low (almost zero), the two hotspots will be so close to each other that they will not be discernible, unless you zoom in very very close. In that case you will only be able to stagger, but not stretch.