cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

help! Roof on freeform shape

Anonymous
Not applicable
looking to put a roof on this, not sure how or where to start, originally wanted to have a sort of corrugated metal roof.... any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22
Srinivas
Booster
Assign your complex profile to a wall/beam tool and apply it using magic wand to a curve.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Arched complex profile wall and SEO to extended walls gives you some outside shelter.
im not sure i understand that, sorry...

i want to create like this in this quote, how do i do that?

thanks you
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi, i have drawn a curve in complex profile, saved it and now trying to use it, this is happening, how do i avoid this?
roof problem.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
please dwight would you be able to tell me how to draw the arched complex profile wall?

thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
i have created this, and would like to know how to trim the 'roof' part so it overhangs the walls below by about 500mm ish.

i hope that makes sense, cheers, Joe
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm back. Went to Seattle for the Comedy Festival:

Did you know that in Oregon school cafeterias they have stopped offering fruit punch because it sounds violent?

When you have a Complex Profile roof and irregular walls below, make a large rectangular slab at the wall base.Use the magic wand to cut a hole in the slab that is the shape of your building.

Use the perimeter expansion feature on the pet palette to expand the hole to suit your overhang size.

Use SEO "subtract with upward…" slab as operator, roof as target.

The roof trims to match the hole.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
joeish wrote:
looking to put a roof on this, not sure how or where to start, originally wanted to have a sort of corrugated metal roof.... any ideas?
Try using OBJECTiVE. Referring to the attached image:
  • 1. Draw a fill around the building perimeter (space-click on the walls or slab to magic wand one). Then expand the fill by the size of the eaves overhang.

2. Click the menu OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile to create a new roof profile. Set the profile type to Elevation, and check the option to place the new profile over the fill.

3. After clicking OK, the tool will prompt for the direction of the profile bending axis. Click two points to set the bending direction.

4. Open the profile object settings, and use the horizontal bending parameter to set the deflection of the roof shape.

5. Extend the walls to at least meet the highest point of the roof. Then use SEO (with upward extrusion) to trim the walls to the roof.

6. The finished result in 3D.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I'm back. Went to Seattle for the Comedy Festival:

Did you know that in Oregon school cafeterias they have stopped offering fruit punch because it sounds violent?
But in English schools they still serve "Spotted D1ck"
Dwight wrote:
When you have a Complex Profile roof and irregular walls below, make a large rectangular slab at the wall base.Use the magic wand to cut a hole in the slab that is the shape of your building.

Use the perimeter expansion feature on the pet palette to expand the hole to suit your overhang size.

Use SEO "subtract with upward…" slab as operator, roof as target.

The roof trims to match the hole.
A variation to this, as SEO's do not display correctly in the Floor Plan window, is to make the slab the shape of your roof outline, and use SEO Intersection with the CP roof. In plan you leave the slab layer visible to show your roof overhang, in 3D the slab is turned off and the roof is turned on.
Dwight
Newcomer
Excellent!

That way, however, the slab and CP roof must actually intersect.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
1 question, where is the perimeter expansion tool??

stuck on that bit....

thank you