BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Finite Split tool

MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I've seen this wish on archicadideas.com and searched through AC-talk, but nobody seems to have posted this wish and it would've saved my day lots of times if I had it!

IMO, biggest use would be when I need to split a slab/roof/polygon which is C or S-shaped - if I split it at a certain point all the ends of the slab are cut, not only the one I want.

It shouldn't be so hard to implement, I guess.
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
To be a workaround or not to be a workaround. This is not a question.

To knock bits of slab away is done with ArchiCAD 9's slab removal command.

With the slab active, click on any node and the palette allows for drawing the exact slab part to be removed.
Dwight Atkinson
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
MarinRacic wrote:
I've seen this wish on archicadideas.com and searched through AC-talk, but nobody seems to have posted this wish and it would've saved my day lots of times if I had it!

IMO, biggest use would be when I need to split a slab/roof/polygon which is C or S-shaped - if I split it at a certain point all the ends of the slab are cut, not only the one I want.

It shouldn't be so hard to implement, I guess.
For one thanks for looking at my site
Secondly, yes this can be done wih the slab- tool on the pet pallette, though it wouldn't hurt to be able to do the same thing with the split tool, which would also involve less actions.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Dwight
Newcomer
Less actions?

Get slab. Activate slab...

okay. you got me on this one.

I'm going back to better grammar - to study my split finitives.
Dwight Atkinson
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
OK, I'll attach 2 screenshots just to understand what I'd like to do with least steps involved...
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
And this is the desired result... If we had finite split tool we could do this in a single step!
end.jpg
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dwight wrote:
Less actions?

Get slab. Activate slab...

okay. you got me on this one.

I'm going back to better grammar - to study my split finitives.
OK, think I was getting confused somewhat. My split wish is to be able to split a fill or slab for example to an arc. At the moment it doesn't work. Even though you can split a line to an arc. Secondly, the slab minus takes more actions that a split anyway.

Split a Slab=
- select a slab
- Apple+F
- select line, arc or whatever
- click what side to split to

Slab Minus=
- select a slab
- select minus
- press spacebar
- click the enclosed area

OK, point taken same amount of action. lol. But with the later you are removing the piece not just splitting it so it's really not the same thing.

I also get what Marin is after now, when you click on a line it should not pretend that line is infinate but instead should only split as far as the object you are splitting to goes - ie the length of the line only.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Exactly my point...

But, you reminded me of something else - I agree 100% with you that fills/slabs etc should be able to be splitted with an arc or a spline!
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Dwight
Newcomer
So now we're having a big discussion about something you all think should be achieved with one less step than we can wih the existing tool....

I can't imagine that a development team would give this issue much attention because it is so marginal.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
I felt bad about reacting to you guys so I remembered the way it is done.

HOW TO SPLIT A SLAB ALONG A SPLINE

1: select slab and spline
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!