BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dongle cover

Anonymous
Not applicable
After having destroyed my protection key earlier this week, this may be a good time to discuss better WIBU keys. One would think that a dongle that costs about 4k would at least have some type of cover for the thing. I have purchased a 4 GB thumb drive from Lexar that came with an awesome snap on cover. Is this not a possibility in the future?
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't mind a close fitting, hard, waterproof protective case. It would only cost a couple of quid to make.

I might even be happy to buy it separately if it was available and fairly cheap. I guess the vast majority of dongles spend their lives sticking out the back of a computer, so perhaps one each is a bit wasteful.

I should imagine it is actually quite fragile inside. I don't like just chucking in my pocket if I have to take it home or where ever. Just think what would happen if I got caught out in the rain!!

Maybe best not to have it branded though, for security reasons.

I vote essential!
TomWaltz
Participant
That's a really good idea.

I have an Oakley hardshell case (the metal bullet-looking one) that my glasses came in that I use for transporting my key. I've also used an Altoids tin... obviously neither of these is ideal!
Tom Waltz
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:

I have an Oakley hardshell case (the metal bullet-looking one) that my glasses came in that I use for transporting my key. I've also used an Altoids tin... obviously neither of these is ideal!
Makes it smell minty!
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
__archiben
Booster
if you've ever bought an apple computer you will have noticed that every single cable end has a plastic plug-over cap on it. i've got hundreds in my drawer right now . . .

all i do is take a modelling knife and slice the cable-holder off of the cap. when i lose it, or it starts to go a little yellow i make a new one . . . it's effective, and - like the budgie said - cheap cheap.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Those little guys are hardier than you might think... I accidentally sent a key through a full wash cycle with my pants a while back, then topped it off with a hot tumble through the dryer. Probably a week later after nearly tearing the house apart looking for it, I pulled it out of the lint trap and plugged it in - still worked fine! The little serial number sticker was gone, and the green housing looked straight out of a Salvador Dali painting, but it worked...
Stress Co_
Advisor
Stephen wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:

Makes it smell minty!
.....and Curiously Strong
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Chazz
Enthusiast
I left my key in my laptop last month and then packed it in my briefcase. BIG MISTAKE. I then accidentally knocked the briefcase over and the protruding key hit the wall and broke apart (the laptop was file).

This dongle thing is a complete hassle and I would love to see it go but I will say that GS is good about replacing damaged keys on the double. I had a new on the next day.

However, if we are stuck with hardware keys, I would like to see them get dramatically smaller or have a low-profile connector with a little section of cord. This way they could be left in laptops without fear of damaging the laptop or the dongle.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Weston wrote:
Those little guys are hardier than you might think... I accidentally sent a key through a full wash cycle with my pants a while back, then topped it off with a hot tumble through the dryer. Probably a week later after nearly tearing the house apart looking for it, I pulled it out of the lint trap and plugged it in - still worked fine! The little serial number sticker was gone, and the green housing looked straight out of a Salvador Dali painting, but it worked...
Awesome!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm always a little torn on this topic. I love the portability of licenses, so we can move from desktop to laptop to home without buying with 3 separate licenses or that people on extended leave, like surgery recovery or some other issue, can take a key home.

At the same time, I hate the thing sticking out of my laptop.

We've broken a couple that are on the back of a desktop. When someone picks it up from the desk and moves it down to extended-arm height, the key snaps right off when it hits the desk...
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!