BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

I wish the wall tool could go on slopes

4hotshoes
Advisor

The Beam and Railing Tools allow users to slope the reference line and follow a slope. I would like the Wall Tool to be able to do the same with the option to have the top of the wall to run parallel to the slope or horizontal. The other option is to lock the reference line to be horizontal as the Beam tool does. However, it would be good to be able to edit the wall to make it slope after it is placed and have the top of the wall to either follow or stay in place.

AND it would be truly great if the reference line could be stepped to follow stepped footings for example. So we don't need to break the wall in to segments and edit elevations. (BTW, It would be good for the Beam Tool to step too.)

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

How about placing two triangle-shaped Opening elements into the Wall to achieve the sloped top and bottom? You can edit the geometry of the Openings with the Polygonal geometry method, plus you can control the resulting 2D. 

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
4hotshoes
Advisor

Here is another idea that I like which I just found out that Revit can do. Once a wall is placed, a user can go into an edit mode and draw on the surface of a wall with splines, circles, polygons and free-hand sketches, that act as cut lines. For example, you could draw a circle on the surface and then pick which part to delete. The wall will remain as a wall. Those cut lines become part of the wall and will move with the wall if the wall is moved as AC windows and doors do. I know SEOs can cut walls but SEOs don't move with walls and they require more work to place other objects used to cut (sometimes multiple) that must remain in the model to maintain the cuts in a wall. I will make a new post for this idea.

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

@4hotshoes wrote:

Those cut lines become part of the wall and will move with the wall if the wall is moved as AC windows and doors do.

As Laszlo suggested, an opening with polygonal geometry for non-rectangular shapes will move with the wall just like doors and windows.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Sound like the opening tool with an option to "Flip" the side to retain / remove.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I have had issues with the Opening Tool where it will not cut or operate on all walls. I don't understand why. The opening tool can be a pain to work with to stretch and move into place. Can the spring tool create any shape? I have not been able to get it to do that. If it can, it is obviously a problem for other users too.

Todd Oeftger

@4hotshoes wrote:

Can the spring tool create any shape?

Opening tool?

Yes it can be any shape you want.

Edits just like any polygon.

BarryKelly_0-1695008763470.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!