BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Openings that remain in elements even after the original element has been deleted.

Jarrod Phillips
Enthusiast

As the title suggests, currently openings still remember the first element they were associated with and are deleted if that element gets deleted. For example, if an opening is associated with a slab first, and then I add that same opening to a beam and then I delete the slab, the opening also gets deleted from the beam. This is not how I would expect this to behave, we need openings to be a little smarter here. It would be preferable if the opening remained associated to the beam and not get deleted along with the first element it was placed in.

Correction:  

I stand corrected. It appears this is possible, however the opening needs to be 'pinned' to a new element before deleting the original element. It would be nice if this was automated and not so manual.

BIM Manager | Graduate of Architecture
Fulton Trotter Architects - Sydney, Australia
Archicad 15 - 27
5 REPLIES 5
Jarrod Phillips
Enthusiast

I stand corrected. It appears this is possible, however the opening needs to be 'pinned' to a new element before deleting the original element. It would be nice if this was automated and not so manual.

Archicad 15 - 27
Barry Kelly

I guess it would be nice if it could automatically re-associate to another element, if the parent element is deleted.

Or maybe give a warning that associated openings will be deleted as well.

But just checking, you are aware you can re-associate the openings to another element yourself?

Ahh, you did figure that out.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response. I discovered this right after posting this wish. It is, however, a little more manual than I would prefer. I think it should be pinned to all the elements it's associated with. Pinning to one element doesn't make much sense, especially if the opening is cutting multiple elements. It's behaving like a door or a window. This is off topic but maybe doors and window should behave in the same way as an opening? 🤔

You raise a good point. It should give a warning that it's going to delete the openings along with the element. This could be easy to miss especially when you have many openings modelled in one element.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Archicad 15 - 27
Lingwisyer
Guru

If the tool was designed well, it would only be deleted when there is only one remained association.

Regarding your off topic note, see this wish.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Pinning to one element makes sense as reference for the position of the opening - although we naturally also should be able to place static openings and that would be what an opening should turn into (after warning) if the position reference is deleted.

Learn and get certified!