Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Property group collapse/expand state to stay after reopening project.

kmitotk
Advocate

It's a small wish but crucial for my mental health.

We have hundreds of properties in many groups and always get annoyed by the fact that all the property groups that I manually collapsed, one by one, will always go back to full expansion every time I reopen the project file.

Might have to be another wish item but I also wish to have hierarchical folders for the property groups.

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

I just collapsed all of the property groups in an element and also in the property manager.

Closed and reopened the file and they were both still closed when I checked them.

This is in version 26.

BarryKelly_0-1716517135495.png

But, I just shut Archicad down and re-opened it and yes, they were all expanded again.

So it is closing and opening of the program causing the problem, not just the file.

Seems the status of the groups is not actually saved with the file.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly 

Thank you for the correct info. It seems that it only maintains the setting when you re-open the project file in the same ArchiCAD instance.

When I close a project I just click on the X at the top right corner of the window which closes down the program. I can try to close just the project, but then I usually have to work with 3+ ArchiCAD instances at the same time and I don't think I'll be able to keep track of which project was opened in which AC instance. 😟

Kei Mito

It seems strange that the property folders, the properties themselves and their values are stored in the project.

But the expanded state of the property folders is stored in the program instance and not the project.

Maybe there is a technical reason why it is this way.

But it would be nice to conceal the properties you don't really want people playing with.

In a way it is almost related to this wish to be able to lock properties.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes/Ability-to-Lock-Expression-Based-Properties/m-p/571086#M2...

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

This issue exists both in the property list in the element settings and in the list in the property manager. Being able to hide some of the properties might help a little for the list in the element settings but that solution doesn't apply to the list in the property manager. My work requires extensive use of property manager in multiple project files and template files and I'm just tired of having to scroll down the long list all the time. The recently introduced search function doesn't help much as I often have to browse through several related properties in one go.

Kei Mito

Try to close all groups and sub-groups. Then do  a "save as" and reopen, replacing the old file with the new one. It will remember to have all those closed. 

If is a teamwork file, same principle applies. "Save as" then reshare replying the old one (A repair is recommended if you want).

Note: if you are gonna do this in a team work file, might as well close all subfolder and folders everywhere, project map, view map, layout book, etc and you will thank yourself how much quicker it will open in teamwork.

Also, never do a "save as" from a 3D. 

Do the "save as" from the simplest view, so when you reshare, it will be a joy for everyone to join the file.

Hopefully this will help 

@Elopez wrote:

Try to close all groups and sub-groups. Then do  a "save as" and reopen, replacing the old file with the new one. It will remember to have all those closed. 

If is a teamwork file, same principle applies. "Save as" then reshare replying the old one (A repair is recommended if you want).

If you save and close the file and then re-open it in the same instance of the Archicad program, then it will remember the closed groups.

The problem seems to be when you close Archicad and then open the file again in a new instance of the program, it then does not remember the closed groups.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Dont do a save. Needs to be a "Save as" maybe under a different name. 

But how will that help?

It just creates a new file with a new name.

Close Archicad and open the new file and I think you will find all of the groups are expanded again.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks Elopez. I tried 'save as' but unfortunately it didn't do anything to prevent the property folders from going back to full expansion in the reopened project in a new ArchiCAD instance.

Kei Mito