Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Window and door labels in elevation view

Anonymous
Not applicable
We need a better solution for labeling windows and doors in elevation views. I would propose that we have something similar to the dimension marker that is used in plan and controls in model views that determine if the label shows or not. I currently use the label tool, but it is clumsy, awkward and unpredictable.
23 REPLIES 23
Djordje
Ace
Dan wrote:
Ray wrote:
...Sorry, Dan yes in plan, but I was thinking specifically of labelling doors and windows in elevations, and as the elevations can not be part of the module then I can't see any way of achieving this.
Ray,
I guess you're right...you can't label in elevation if its a module...you would need to break the hotlink.

Dan K
Pull in the labeled elevations from the module into the layouts.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
...Pull in the labeled elevations from the module into the layouts.
Djordje,
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Dan K
Djordje
Ace
Dan wrote:
Djordje wrote:
...Pull in the labeled elevations from the module into the layouts.
Djordje,
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Dan K
If everything is labelled in the module file, you can pull the elevation views from the modules into the layouts of the master file. Provided, of course, that the modules are spearate buildings and that each one has its own file, sully documented.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
If everything is labelled in the module file, you can pull the elevation views from the modules into the layouts of the master file. Provided, of course, that the modules are spearate buildings and that each one has its own file, sully documented.
Djordje,

I understand this will work perfectly in the circumstances you mention and it seems the best way in these circumstances.

But I can't see a way of getting doors and windows to label in the following scenario:

I have a housing development where I have several "types" of 2 storey buildings which need repeating but with minor changes to external screens, stairs and balconies. I have each building type in a PLN fully modelled and noted (in plan only) - BUT without the things that are specific for each particular building (screens, stairs and balconies). I then have seperate PLN files for each actual building with the original "type" PLN brought in as a Hotlinked Module (each storey in each storey). I then add the external work specific for the particular building. Elevations and Sections are generated off this PLN (with the external stairs and balconies) and noted and dimensioned. And it's here I need the windows and doors numbered in the elevations. As these specific buildings are having their walls with doors and windows come from a hotlinked (PLN) module, I can't label them.

Does my process make sense, or is there a better way? Anyone else work this type of scenario in a different way? Or if this has been discussed before, can you point me to where it is?
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
...My complaints with the Door/Window Dimension Markers (that are built into the doors/windows) are that they are generally really hard to control, cannot be shown in elevations, and must use display options to be controlled. I prefer being able to use layers and to be able to easily drag/rotate the symbol without digging for parameters or hunting for the hotspot.
Tom,
For the most part I agree with you...What's needed are good Door/Window Dimension markers that have a marker version as well as a label version. I'm currently addressing this and have most of the issues resolved, but unfortunately labels cannot access door and window parameters the way markers can.

So...bottomline, labels cannot be scripted as intelligently as markers can. (The best example of this is the way "AC_Wido_Subfl_Thickness" is not recognized in label scripts to properly show the "adjusted" text display of sill/head heights.) My "label" solution to this is to provide a SubFloor parameter in the label, but this is prone to error if the user forgets to set it - of course this setting can be scripted automatic in marker versions.

Dan K
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
I’m really quite surprised that it’s not possible to label model components from hotlinked modules in elevation or section (in my case today, windows & doors, but just as equally, I’d like to be able to label walls etc..)

I'm also VERY surprised this topic hasn't had more interest, and the whole subject of addressing such a major omission seems to have been forgotten.

To the Moderator: is there any later discussion of this? My searches only turn up this thread

I understand that the hotlink brings through model data, but for some reason, not labels. Presumably because they’re not 3D, but then that doesn’t figure because 2D PLAN elements come through.

I’d like to see this ESSENTIAL part of BIM documentation implemented as soon as possible, for obvious reasons: Imagine me having to individually identify, co-ordinate and then label about 300 different windows over a block of attached town houses, which have been assembled in a ‘main file’ in the usual way.

Plan markers are great, but perhaps the ‘label system’ needs re-visiting to allow these invaluable identifiers to be used to their full extent in documenting a project.

Seems this one fell off the “to-do” list… or into the “too hard” basket perhaps? Surely it’s not that hard.

Come on Graphisoft – get with the program and provide the fundamentals of an intelligent BIM documentation environment. I’m sure I’m not the only one who winces every time we have to label a few hundred doors in a hotlink-rich project.
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Wokka
Contributor
I agree this is very important (must remember to vote or check if I voted a year ago?). I use my own label marker on the elevation, which is handy, but Graphisoft really should have a better solution. The labels are not always reliable as they sometimes double up on top of each other. ie two labels for the one window, with one of the labels showing a default setting.
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Gerald wrote:
I’m really quite surprised that it’s not possible to label model components from hotlinked modules in elevation or section (in my case today, windows & doors, but just as equally, I’d like to be able to label walls etc..)

I'm also VERY surprised this topic hasn't had more interest, and the whole subject of addressing such a major omission seems to have been forgotten.

To the Moderator: is there any later discussion of this? My searches only turn up this thread

I understand that the hotlink brings through model data, but for some reason, not labels. Presumably because they’re not 3D, but then that doesn’t figure because 2D PLAN elements come through.

I’d like to see this ESSENTIAL part of BIM documentation implemented as soon as possible, for obvious reasons: Imagine me having to individually identify, co-ordinate and then label about 300 different windows over a block of attached town houses, which have been assembled in a ‘main file’ in the usual way.

Plan markers are great, but perhaps the ‘label system’ needs re-visiting to allow these invaluable identifiers to be used to their full extent in documenting a project.

Seems this one fell off the “to-do” list… or into the “too hard” basket perhaps? Surely it’s not that hard.

Come on Graphisoft – get with the program and provide the fundamentals of an intelligent BIM documentation environment. I’m sure I’m not the only one who winces every time we have to label a few hundred doors in a hotlink-rich project.
I think the main problem here is that Section/Elevation etc. Viewpoints do not come through from a Module.
And since those Labels are elements within those Elevation Viewpoints, they do not come through.
I think this is a (currently) (inherent?) limitation of the Modules concept.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
I think the main problem here is that Section/Elevation etc. Viewpoints do not come through from a Module.
And since those Labels are elements within those Elevation Viewpoints, they do not come through.
I think this is a (currently) (inherent?) limitation of the Modules concept.
The main problem is very clear, but no-one is offering a solution. If there is a label / marker out there that can be linked to a door/window etc. please include a link/reference in this thread to help all those users whom my comments undoubtedly represent.

Is there perhaps a way to make visible - in elevation/section - the plan-view window/door marker that is an inherent part of the object (rather than a placed, window-specific entity like a label) which is controlled using model view options. Other users have bemoaned this kind of control, preferring layer-level control, but it's essentially the same as setting a particular layer combination for a view.

Graphisoft developers: please do not allow this issue to be forgotten again for another 34 months!
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guess I am not the only one who has just stumbled onto this issue. I cannot wait until AC13 arrives because then it will lessen the need of hotlinked modules. I guess labeling our windows will have to wait until it's time to break hotlinks. So much for trying to be proactive and getting our elevation documentation done a little ahead of time.

My vote: ESSENTIAL!

If GS cannot resolve the whole hotlink module labeling thing because of it's view specific properties, then fine, at least create an elevation view marker option to be incorporated with the marker tool.