Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Window head height to be from sill or from floor level

It would be great if it would be possible to determine the dimension height of the window head both from the window sill to the head or from the floor to the head. this would assist with drawing up surveys where the surveyors give the head off the window dimension from floor level and not sill level.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
9 REPLIES 9
mthd
Ace

I find that annoying and time consuming when setting window head height positions. I have to subtract the widow depth from the head height to find the sill position on every window to set it at the right level. An automatic window head height for each story would help greatly.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Strawbale23
Expert

Its strange, AC really feels sometimes that it is made around software programmers and company managers and not for the people who actually use the program in real life...

So much of the programs workflow and interface is not how we work in real life.

I have a crazy dream of one day a team of architects taking over AC and overhauling it in a way that makes it a good experience for us to use.

AC26
https://www.zendsign.fr/

Lol it would certainly be nice. The best we can do for now is to become a GSI or “Graphisoft Insider”.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Barry Kelly

I am not sure I understand this wish.

We can see the height of a window unit and also its height of the head or sill from a storey or a wall base in the info box.

And you can add a window marker or an autotext label to show the size in plan/elevation.

And you can add elevation dimensions in elevation.

BarryKelly_0-1689564558478.png

So I know the height from the floor to the head and from the sill to the head.

In my image the window is 1543mm high, the sill is at 600mm and the head is at 2143mm.

What is it you are lacking?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

In almost all my projects, wall base and stories are never at finished floor height. 

Maybe I am doing something wrong...

AC treats walls and windows etc as GDL objects and computer model componants. But this is not how an Architectural project is set out.

In real life, a window opening is usually related to the finished floor. Is modified often over the life of the project/renovation. 

AC26

@Strawbale23 wrote:

In almost all my projects, wall base and stories are never at finished floor height. 

There is a sub-floor height that will reduce the head and sill height by the amount you set.

You may need to turn this on in your Work Environment info box settings.

I don't think it shows up in the door/window settings dialogue - I am not 100% sure as I never use it.

So if your finished floor level is above the storey or wall base level, you can use that.

BarryKelly_0-1689582342854.png

The 'Sill/Header Value' will still show the actual sill or head height (depending on the anchor point you choose - head or sill).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tinou
Enthusiast

May be have a look on how Allplan manages these settings. I remeber having much more options to set my windows height, even 10 years ago.

Étienne - AC 24 - France

thanks Barry. I dont have this option in my windows settings and spent the last 15 mins hunting around for this setting...still cannot find it.

AC26

Ok, I found it! Tucked away and unlabeled in Dimension Marker. nice.....

Im really not sure of what the thinking behind  this is. Why do we have intelligent BIM composite Slabs, and I then need to separately set subfloor thickness in an obscure setting location for each individual window and door???

AC26