BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Skirting and Opening

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I have an existing wall pierced by various openings. But there is a skirting that runs around these openings - is it possible to make the openings not affect the skirting ?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I should probably add I've drawn the skirting as a wall element...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Try to create a Complex Profile for the skirting, and use Columns and Beams to placed them around the edges of the Openings. Walls may be problematic to be used for this purpose because they may join with the Wall the Opening is placed into. Column/Beams seem a cleaner solution to me.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
Try to create a Complex Profile for the skirting, and use Columns and Beams to placed them around the edges of the Openings. Walls may be problematic to be used for this purpose because they may join with the Wall the Opening is placed into. Column/Beams seem a cleaner solution to me.
Hey thanks for this it worked for the skirting but then the design got more complicated !

I've actually got to line out and tile the walls so assuming tile + board would that mean creating a double layer column for the openings ?

Would this cause problems later for scheduling out the lining ?

Cheers
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you post a screenshot of the intended result? Then we could advise on the best approaches.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
Could you post a screenshot of the intended result? Then we could advise on the best approaches.
Sure:
qbic-ft
Booster
move those skirting elements to another layer with an intersection group different from the wall
Barry Kelly
post_id=321846 time=1612201404 user_id=119746 wrote:
move those skirting elements to another layer with an intersection group different from the wall
Yes, as soon as you run the skirting into the opening, you now have walls crossing each other, and they will trim each other based on the building material strengths.

As qbic-ft suggested, have them in a separate layer with a different intersection priority number to the main wall layer.
They will now not interact with each other.

Also remember that this intersection priority number is saved in every layer combination, so you will have to make sure the numbers are different in every layer combination where you will see the walls or skirtings.
Even if one of the layers is turned off, the automatic trimming will still be in effect.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!