BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

empty opening in custom profile wall

jkershaw
Enthusiast
hi all -

We have created a custom profile wall that consists of 7/8" corrugated metal cladding. This wall is a skin to a regular AC wall.

We want to create an empty opening in this wall that corresponds with the steel bucket window in the regular wall. Everything looks good in 3D, but in plan, the empty opening is not "masking" the full thickness of the custom profile wall.

As you can see from the screenshots, the window DOES mask a small portion of the thickness.

Any suggestions??
AC26 APPLE SILICON USA FULL 4032
Mac Studio 2022, Apple M1 Max, 64GB RAM
13.2 macOS Ventura
learning AC since version 4.5
7 REPLIES 7
jkershaw
Enthusiast
here is the plan view
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 10.37.22 AM.png
13.2 macOS Ventura
Bruce
Expert
Presumably your opening reference lines are set to cover the whole depth of the corrugate?

Also, play around with the symbolic vs projected vs outline display of both the wall and the window - there may be a combination that does what you want
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
jkershaw
Enthusiast
Thanks, Bruce -

Yes - the opening reference covers the entire profile. This was our first guess.

We also played around with the symbolic/projected settings, and we just cannot get it to render properly in 2D.

The window is above the cut plane, so we do not expect projected to work. The fact that the symbolic setting only masks a portion of the custom profile wall leads me to think something is glitchy and not working properly.
13.2 macOS Ventura
Bruce
Expert
Try changing the empty opening to an empty window opening (yes, there is a difference). The Empty Window Openings (in this case Rectangular Window Opening) gives more options with casing, reveals etc.

Also, given the window is above your cut plane, try changing the cut plane height to see if this has an impact.

It's not glitchy...it's just the idiosyncratic behaviour of complex profiles vs 2D display vs cut plane heights.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
I have to ask... Have you tried "Send backward" for the complex profile wall? I'm assuming those are separate walls and the steel bucket window sill has a cover fill...

Best regards.
jkershaw
Enthusiast
good grief... "send to back" took care of the issue. Rookie mistake. I must be getting old...

thank you!
13.2 macOS Ventura
sinceV6
Advocate
Good.
That's the problem with the symbolic floor plan type of view in AC, because you might have walls set to "projected with overhead" but their interaction with other elements will still be a symbolic representation. IMHO I think this should change ASAP.
Best regards.
Learn and get certified!