BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

radial distorted fill

mIRage66
Newcomer
can't believe it took me years to realize that archicad actually has a way to make a proper radial fill... - very useful in many situations, for example when trying to draw radial stone paving

here i've seen it mentioned only in an old post discussing undocumented improvements in ac15...

the method is a classic AC workaround

the documentation says:
A fourth option is the Radial Distorted Fill construction method, with which you can graphically adjust the vector’s radial distortion. This is available only for a selected symbol Fill and only if:
•the symbol fill was used as a skin of a composite structure; and
•the skin’s Fill Orientation was defined as Fit to Skin in the Composite Structures dialog box; and
•you have selected this symbol fill after exploding a curved composite wall.

sounds complicated, but what this actually allows is that you make your own radial fill:
1. draw a hatch pattern yourself with lines (can be over an existing hatch that you want to make radial) and be careful that it can multiply seamlessly - then select & copy
2. go to element attributes - FILLS, make a new SYMBOL fill - paste the pattern here and be sure that the CUT fill is checked
3. go to BUILDING MATERIALS - make a new material with a this new fill as a 2D representation and as fill orientation select FIT TO SKIN
4. draw a wall with this material, make it radial and use the wall to roughly fill the area you need to be hatched
5. explode the wall(s) and adjust

(this is the way to do it with a new custom hatch - of course it's possible to use the existing symbol fills - just be sure they are cut fills)

sure it's not ideal, takes a lot of tinkering and adjusting the scale of the fills/materials but i think this is amazing...
it's also amazing that a program has a feature like this hidden so well
maybe there's a proper stairmaker out there, accessed through a series of keyboard shortcuts...
Archicad 21/22/23, Windows 10 64bit,
Asus GL703VM, Intel i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060, 16GB
3 REPLIES 3
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Thnx for you info!
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't figure it out.
after 6 years of archicad i wanted to do it right. bit even with the text explanaition i can't figure it out.

i searched for video's but can't find it.
Can someone help. maybe that Archicad (youtube) have made a video or can make a video for this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear GuillaumeArchicad, you need to take closer attention to what mIrage66 wrote.
Only if you make a composite with the building material and construct the wall with composite it will distort the fill / fit it to the skin!
mIRage66 wrote:
A fourth option is the Radial Distorted Fill construction method, with which you can graphically adjust the vector’s radial distortion. This is available only for a selected symbol Fill and only if:
•the symbol fill was used as a skin of a composite structure; and
•the skin’s Fill Orientation was defined as Fit to Skin in the Composite Structures dialog box; and
•you have selected this symbol fill after exploding a curved composite wall.
Learn and get certified!