BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

can I copy dimensions?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
I have two different files, containing almost the same geometry. I would like to copy the dimensions from one file to the other. Is it possible?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I assume you would like the dimensions to stay associative.
If you copy-paste only dimensions they will stop being associative since there is no element that is also copied that they were associated with. So the associativity is broken and they will become static Dimensions.

If you copy-paste the dimensions and the elements they are dimensioning (are associated with) then I believe the associativity will be preserved.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sure I will not be copying any elements. I wish to copy only the dimensions. Broken associativity means that dimensions will not change along with the elements, right? but maybe I can adjust there. I tried to copy and paste but only very few dimensions were copied. What should I try next?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I need to correct myself a bit:
When copy-pasting only Dimensions, only those Domension Points of Dimensions will go through that are set to Static (it is possible that within a Dimension Chain only some of the Dimension Points are static, others are associative).
So you should set all dimensions you wish to copy to Static.
That way all your dimensions will go through.

(If you copy both the dimension and the element it dimensions, everything will go through.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. That solves it.
Learn and get certified!