BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Difference between Worksheet and Detail Tool???

Anonymous
Not applicable
In our office we typically do 1/4" floorplans then enlarge certain areas that need to show more detail (ie: kitchens, bathrooms, etc.).

For the enlarged plans, I use the Detail tool or the Worksheet tool, which brings me to my question...

What do you use for enlarged plans?

Is there a difference between the two? Should I use one vs. the other?

Please help as there is dissension in the ranks...
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Chazz wrote:
Agreed, but you still need a tool to call and link those views on the plan. The detail tool (now that it can link to any drawing) is perfect for this function.
I agree, but I'm not sure I follow your 2nd statement. I haven't tried to use it that way. Are you saying that you can use the bubble type detail on the plan, then throwing away to 2D info, and relink it to a live view set on a layout? Or something like that? Ideally, as Djordje hinted, the detail tool would have a check box to keep it live or make it a zombie.

Dave
Yes, you can take the detail tool and use it as a "linked marker." Let's say you're doing an enlarged plan of a kitchen: you can select the detail tool, go to the linked marker option, and link it to a view or a drawing on a sheet. Put the marker with an outline around the kitchen on the regular plan and it will just tell what sheet it's on, not create a new detail if you select the "linked marker" option. It's very useful.

Sorry if that's confusing...
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dave wrote:
Are you saying that you can use the bubble type detail on the plan, then throwing away to 2D info, and relink it to a live view set on a layout? Or something like that?
Exactly. You never even look at the data in the detail window. It's just unlinked 2d junk. Just link it up to another view or drawing. It's just a very convenient way to denote and link a (for example) enlarged plans. In our work, all the details are linked to something else, usually a massive set of standard details from a seperate PLN file.

There are downsides: polygonal outlines of the detail areas on plans do not work well. But the ability to link details to anything was a huge help when it arrived in AC 11. When the detail tool fist appeared without this functionality, I thought GS had lost its mind.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Dwight
Newcomer
Note to self:

Screenplay idea:

"Night of the Attack of the Zombie Details."

"A young architect, naively buying BIM technology as the solution to all design and production problems, slowly goes insane from overwork trying to make the thing work due to lack of foresight in not delegating the entire challenge to a servant. He hallucinates being pursued by animated building materials that cannot be controlled [or linked] before giving the whole thing up and going back to drafting, as the sun finally rises."
Dwight Atkinson
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
Screenplay idea:"Night of the Attack of the Zombie Details."
Can I preorder the screenplay?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Note to self:

Screenplay idea:

"Night of the Attack of the Zombie Details."

"A young architect, naively buying BIM technology as the solution to all design and production problems, slowly goes insane from overwork trying to make the thing work due to lack of foresight in not delegating the entire challenge to a servant. He hallucinates being pursued by animated building materials that cannot be controlled [or linked] before giving the whole thing up and going back to drafting, as the sun finally rises."
Can I star?
Dwight
Newcomer
Do you have the round glasses and bow tie?
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
and chiseled Dawson's Creek chin?
Dwight Atkinson
Stress Co_
Advisor
A small but, significant? difference:

The worksheet tool will copy text and dimensions, The detail tool will not.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
TomWaltz
Participant
Stress wrote:
A small but, significant? difference:

The worksheet tool will copy text and dimensions, The detail tool will not.
It will if you check the box to do so in the Settings Menu.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Dave wrote:
Ideally, as Djordje hinted, the detail tool would have a check box to keep it live or make it a zombie.
No.

Detail should stay as it is. The Worksheet - unlike now - should not be a zombie, but a live model view, cropped to zoom. Cropped being the key word here - placing on layouts, DWG export etc ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!