Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Fill orientation for roof in sections inverted at change of direction

luke-asplan
Participant

Hello Graphisoft Commuity,

This may be an easy fix, but i seem to be having an issue with fill orientations within a sloped roof.
I have drawn a 4 hipped composite roof using 'Roof>geometry method > multi-plane. The composite has 2 layers with insulation involved so we have given these each their own custom fills, the roof rafters fill has 150mm insulation with 50mm airgap, the insulated plasterboard similar, custom fill which is part plasterboard and part insulation. trying this option so the skin list label labels sizes correctly.

The issue im have is when the roof changes direction the fill is mirroring within the material,

Is there a way to amend this within settings i am missing somewhere? on the left part and the middle part of the roof the fills are correct but the right part its mirrored the fill?

I have attached screen shots, which may show the issue clearer.

Any help would be great, thank you.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 115210.pngScreenshot 2024-09-10 120012.pngScreenshot 2024-09-10 120130.png

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

I have never noticed the fills inverting, but I am wondering if it because your insulation fill seems to have a gap ant the bottom of the unit.

If you need the gap in your composite I would add an extra 'air gap' skin.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hello Barry, Thank you for your reply.

I have tried adding a diagonal line within the fill to see if the gap was an issue, it appears that's not where the issue falls.

Ideally we are trying to move away from adding an air gap skin so that the skin list labels correctly list how the roof is constructed.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 084002.pngScreenshot 2024-09-11 083712.png

I think the problem is that the fill is inverted as you say.

I have never noticed because I always have a single fill per skin.

I have never used a symbol fill with a gap or a second style of fill as you have done here.

Using separate skins with a single fill, you would probably never notice the problem.

If I get a few minutes I will try to replicate and see if the fill does indeed invert.

Barry

Versions 6.5 to 27

I just checked and it definitely flips the fill.

Even single roof planes are the same, no matter in what direction you draw them.

I also tested with a single roof that is correct, dragged a copy  along the section line and rotated it 180° and the fill inverts (when 'fit to skin' is used).

So the only solution I think is to use a single fill per skin.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you Barry,

Yes i hadn't came across this problem until now, usually i had drawn as you mentioned as a single style fill and more skins to a layer.
E.G. Skin 1 plasterboard, Skin 2 insulation, Skin 3 insulation, Skin 4 airgap.
Main reason of trying this fill option was so that for example insulated plasterboard, would actually display as a single skin element as it is in real life, then the skin list would list correctly.

Sorry i hope this is clear. and thanks again for your help so far.

I can see why you would not want to use a separate skin.

The problem is you want to label or schedule the 195mm rafter but also the 150mm Kooltherm insulation.

But they both occupy the same position, so you don't want them as separate skins.

Because you are listing the actual skin thickness.

If it were me, I would still use the 195mm rafter skin as you have done but fill it with a single insulation fill (fitted to skin).

Still name it as you have done so the description will be correct.

It is just the insulation will not show as it true thickness.

Or maybe create an insulation symbol fill that has a gap top and bottom so it floats in the middle.

Again not technically correct, but it is just representing the insulation between the rafters.

Your description will read correctly based on the skin thickness and name.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks again Barry,

Yes exactly that, an element within an element (insulation between rafters).

Yes as you said both solutions are not ideal.
It seems i have to pick between either the drawing part being visually correct by splitting the skins or the text being correct using the options you have listed above.

Im sort of glad its not just a problem my end / me doing something wrong. Although would of been good if was an easy fix.

Thank you again Barry for your help and time on this matter, much appreciated.