cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Copying in elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems as though there is no way to copy an object in elevation. Is this true? If you have several objects on top of each other in plan it would be great to be able to lay them out in elevation but the program seems to limit you to copying in plan (where you can't really see what you're doing) or in 3D which is somewhat cumbersome. Does anyone know of another way around this?
Thanks
27 REPLIES 27
TomWaltz
Participant
sbatchelor wrote:
It seems as though there is no way to copy an object in elevation. Is this true? If you have several objects on top of each other in plan it would be great to be able to lay them out in elevation but the program seems to limit you to copying in plan (where you can't really see what you're doing) or in 3D which is somewhat cumbersome. Does anyone know of another way around this?
Thanks
The only things you can copy in elevations are doors & windows within the same wall. Other than that, you cannot place any new 3-dimensional items into your model in an elevation/section view.

The best way around it is to get comfortable working in the 3D window to copy and drag in any dimension.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
sbatchelor wrote:
but the program seems to limit you to copying in plan (where you can't really see what you're doing) or in 3D which is somewhat cumbersome. Does anyone know of another way around this?
Thanks
Use 3D; it is not cumbersome at all after you are used to it. And, it does give you instant feedback.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Use 3D; it is not cumbersome at all after you are used to it. And, it does give you instant feedback.
... best if you put a marquee around the area you're working in. It's cumbersome if you work with an entire airport terminal in the 3D window, in order to copy a column 3 times.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I like the idea, but in my limited experience in working in 3d, it seemed that I can't be too exact when moving or copying items (or mirroring, or ...) The only thing that I've used it successfully in the past is adjusting wall heights, etc.

Now, is this because I wasn't looking too carefully at all the options, or can you really not work all that accurately in 3d (vs. Section/Elevation)?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just remember to work with the coordinates - they work in 3D same as in plan. x and y can be stipulated - or a (angle) and r (distance) and move around in the 3D with the 3D navigation to get a clear view on what you're doing. It's quickly done with a marqueed area. With a bit of practice in this, you'll find it's often easier than doing everything in plan.

Also, if you're copying at regular intervals, remember the 'multiply' command - it works in 3D, too.

HTH
Djordje
Ace
Sergio wrote:
Now, is this because I wasn't looking too carefully at all the options, or can you really not work all that accurately in 3d (vs. Section/Elevation)?
Why not?

Use pet palettes and coordinates. Learn to move the origin to the storey you work on. Trim works, adjust works, multiply works, most of the stuff works.

Plans, sections and elevations are symbolic representations of the building. What we do are the buildings. The only place where you see the building is the 3D window.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
...Learn to move the origin to the storey you work on...
'tis the first I've ever heard of this. So you're saying that there's a "switch" where you can select which floor/storey new items will be placed on in 3D (nevermind the fact that I didn't think you COULD place new objects in 3D)? I thought all of the modifications that get done in 3D stay on their default floor, but if you're saying that you can "move the origin", now this sounds interesting.

Never said that I knew everything, but this may be a biggie that I totally missed. Any additional info on it, please?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
So you're saying that there's a "switch" where you can select which floor/storey new items will be placed on in 3D
AFAIK elements added in 3D will be put on the story that is current in the plan view. Not a completely logical or transparent method, but easy enough to manage. I do wish there were a way to see the element's home story in the info box though.

I believe Djordje was referring to the handy practice of moving the 3D user origin to the current story's elevation.
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
I believe Djordje was referring to the handy practice of moving the 3D user origin to the current story's elevation.
Yep.

Whoever told Sergio that you can't add in 3D is at least an ignoramus.

3D is the real working environment. Use it, guys!
Djordje

HP Omen