Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Elevator block

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wondering if anybody out there has had any luck with any of the standard elevator blocks (Elevator: Standard & 02). I used to "workaround" in previous projects, but I think that this current project will benefit from a properly working block. Unfortuately, the SE9 one doesn't want to generate and I don't want to go and tinker around in the code (lack of patience and experience... in reverse order:) ). The US9 has limiting factors when trying to set the size of the cab to real world dimensions from manufacturers.

Does anybody have any ideas (other than buying a different block)? I'm stumped.
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
TomWaltz wrote:
Sergio wrote:
So I guess the only solution left are either tinker with the GDL block or buy another one, right?
GDL object.

I'm afraid so.
If I look into GS docs, the main category is called Library Part. A Library Part is something you can use GDL to create.
There are various types of Library Parts:
-Windows
-Doors
-Objects
-Lamps
-Markers
-Zone Stamps
and maybe others I don't remember now.

Regardless of that, Sergio probably needs an Object in this case.

Laszlo (the pedantic) Or is it inkhorn? pragmatical? scholastic? wiseacre? (my dictionary gives me these choices)

PS: Still, clarification of terms IS important, saves a lot of miscommunication.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
TomWaltz
Participant
You're right. I was thinking it's called the "Object Tool".
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Blocks, Objects, Cells, Parts....? Thanks for the clarification Ppl. This sounds like a lesson I won't soon forget...

Though the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we should change the name of the thread to "proper reference of them object thingies" or something like that. What say? Any takers?...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
Blocks, Objects, Cells, Parts....? Thanks for the clarification Ppl. This sounds like a lesson I won't soon forget...

Though the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we should change the name of the thread to "proper reference of them object thingies" or something like that. What say? Any takers?...
Maybe we should just call them stuff, thing-a-ma-bobs, and watchamacallits. The problem is that the "Object" tool covers WAY too many things, from graphic symbols, to plumbing fixtures, to entire buildings (sometimes), and more...

Signs are that matters may improve in the future. The tool itself has been spinning off sequels for the last few years in the Lamp, Skylight, Wall End, etc., and been appearing in supporting roles in the Section, Zone, Detail, etc. There are also now subtypes defined within the GDL which may lead to more clearly defined categories (IFC classes?) of stuff.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Maybe we should just call them stuff, thing-a-ma-bobs, and watchamacallits.
Well now we're in a real fix. Seems that not even Mr. Lohden himself is settled on a proper name...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Maybe we should just call them stuff, thing-a-ma-bobs, and watchamacallits.
Well now we're in a real fix. Seems that not even Mr. Lohden himself is settled on a proper name...
Perhaps you didn't understand. These are serious technical terms with very particular meanings.

Stuff = The parts we actually use.

Thing-a-ma-bobs = The potential Stuff in our libraries that we haven't used or don't know are there.

Watchamacallits = The potential Thing-a-ma-bobs that we might buy or download if only we could tell what they do or whether they work.