cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC17 T-Junctions

KeesW
Advocate
Have got my AC17 and thought that I'd try the T-Junction of a timber stud wall lined with plasterboard both sides. One wall was copied from the other so that they are both identical. Plasterboard value is 400, whilst core is 500.

The identical situation created with AC16 worked perfectly - first time.

It seems that 'automatic' wall junctions are going to take some learning.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
16 REPLIES 16
KeesW
Advocate
Ejrolon

"With wall intersections off"????
Where and what is this command? I never had to worry about this before. Is this another AC17 improvement?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Eduardo Rolon
It has been there since AC07 which was the first one I used it is a display option. I only used ut so you could see how the walls were drawn
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
On the other item you will need to use Align 3D Texture to get the Materials to behave. If they don't then you might need to create your own texture.
Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 9.22.53 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

KeesW
Advocate
Wall junctions off: I know about that view setting but thought that there was something new.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

KeesW
Advocate
Problem solved!
I used a new default timber stud with plasterboard both sides to create the 'T-junction". It didn't work properly. I've now re-checked the settngs and found that both core and linings had the same value of 500. Graphisoft AUS would create a default composite wall with the same value for skins is only known to them. But, I should have double checked before. Sorry for raising the issue.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

KeesW
Advocate
One more comment and then I'll stop with this issue. I've discovered how Graphisoft AUS created a composite wall with the same skin number in the standard AC17 library. They used 'plaster' instead of 'plasterboard' linings on 70mm and 90m stud partitions. Plaster has the same skin number as timber stud (500) whilst plasterboard has a lower skin number. The standard 50mm stud partition included in AC17 AUS library has plasterboard, and NOT plaster, linings and T-junctions created with this wall type work correctly.

An easy mistake to make and a warning to us amateurs out here to take care when creating new composite walls!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just out of curiousity I checked the INT AC 17 Template file: no two Building Materials have the same Intersection Priority Number.
Which is probably a good advice in general when creating Building Materials.
The fact is: when two intersecting skins have the same Intersection Priority Number, then there is a priority order among element types that goes like this from strongest to weakest:

Morph > Beam > Roof > Shell > Slab > Column > Wall

But if it is the same element type (such as tow Walls) and their Intersection Priority Numbers are the same, it is up to chance which will be stronger.
To avoid such possible cases it is advisable that no two Building Materials have the same Intersection Priority Number.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27