cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
David Maudlin
Rockstar
strawbale23 wrote:
the barrel roof and dome parts we already had in the roof tool, so they dont count
The Roof Tool always resulted in segmentation, curved forms were not possible (and editing the pieces difficult). The Shell Tool allows curved forms, as well as correct 2D display when combining elements with the Connect or SEO commands.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
"But as for right now, I get the impression that I'll be better served by still sticking the to software I'm already accustomed to using at the moment for creating free-form shapes with (Rhino3D and Maya in my case) and leave the struggles and battles to trying to integrate or import those forms back into ArchiCAD or maybe fine some other way of getting the 2D linework back into the documents."

Bricklyne Clarence, how easy is it to create a roof form with these tools and import them into AC as an object? Will it export sucesfully to Artlantis for rendering later?
strawbale23 wrote:
"But as for right now, I get the impression that I'll be better served by still sticking the to software I'm already accustomed to using at the moment for creating free-form shapes with (Rhino3D and Maya in my case) and leave the struggles and battles to trying to integrate or import those forms back into ArchiCAD or maybe fine some other way of getting the 2D linework back into the documents."

Bricklyne Clarence, how easy is it to create a roof form with these tools and import them into AC as an object? Will it export sucesfully to Artlantis for rendering later?
Creating them is easy in those softwares.
Importing them into ArchiCAD is a whole other story.

The 3DS Import addon is a hit or miss proposition. Sometimes it will import cleanly and have them display correctly in all windows. Other times it will bring in the objects with a lot of lines and too many faces and polygons for ArchiCAD to handle and other times it will just crash in the middle of importing.

The Google Sketchup import plugin is normally nice with lots of options, but it's Windows only and it can also tend to get hit or miss itself with some objects.

I think at the end of the day the biggest qualifier is the fact that ArchiCAD itself generally can't handle high polycount objects or objects with too many polygons (even though these other programs handle them just fine). And we probably can all thank GDL and ArchiCAD's old engine for that.

As to your other question, if you can import it fine without any problems then chances are that you will be able to export it just fine also and it will render okay as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I still struggle to see why GS see the need to take on the extra work load of developing, maintaining and improving GDL & 3d engine. The approach from VW appears to be bearing fruit at a much faster rate. The licensing of the parasolid engine looks to have achieved quite quickly what GS has taken a much longer time to achieve. Surely it would be in GS interest to focus on implementation and tool usage, then trying to manage the 3d engine. You would hope that if GS & VW both used the same engine then it would also help lead to perhaps a cross BIM format for them to leverage a higher user base when it comes to manufacturers and suppliers.

In general the ideas for workflow and tool usage seem to be sound coming from GS, it always appears that it is the technical constraints of the underlying engine which holds them back.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
As far as I know the Renovation Filter feature was not meant to be used for design options.
But that does not mean someone may not come up with a clever way of using it for that purpose. Time will tell.
From my preliminary experimenting, I think it's a GREAT tool for design options. I created new filters for each option, modeled elements and assigned each element to show on a specific renovation or option filter. To my surprise with the walls the same layer, it did NOT try to clean up intersections with other walls hidden on another filter.

Suppose an option is chosen and those elements need to moved to another filter. You can use the find and select tool to make selections by renovation filters, and the edit selection set has added categories which other renovation filters, including all relevant filters, can be applied to the selection. This may be a great substitute for modules or mark up styles when working with design options, depending on the size/scope of work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ksymons19 wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
As far as I know the Renovation Filter feature was not meant to be used for design options.
But that does not mean someone may not come up with a clever way of using it for that purpose. Time will tell.
From my preliminary experimenting, I think it's a GREAT tool for design options. I created new filters for each option, modeled elements and assigned each element to show on a specific renovation or option filter. To my surprise with the walls the same layer, it did NOT try to clean up intersections with other walls hidden on another filter.

Suppose an option is chosen and those elements need to moved to another filter. You can use the find and select tool to make selections by renovation filters, and the edit selection set has added categories which other renovation filters, including all relevant filters, can be applied to the selection. This may be a great substitute for modules or mark up styles when working with design options, depending on the size/scope of work.

Still waiting for my copy so I've been really wondering what others think. So far there seems to be little talk about the reno tool at all. Though I am really encouraged by your "GREAT" recommendation. I do a lot of renovations and Archicad has problems with invisible walls cutting into visible walls and hopefully this will fix that. The layer intersection # isn't grainular enough as I need a third option for intersecting walls and I'm hoping this will do what I need.

HOWEVER...

Can you answer if the tool will only hold "1" set of design/reno/demo/whatever instructions? Or can you do two or more designs and switch between existing and proposed 1, proposed 2, and proposed 3?

This might be a bad limitation if it only handles one renovation. But even if it's just one but it solves the wall cutting problem for at least one set and that will be useful for 60% of the jobs I do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not following what you mean by "1" set of....

But for your comment "do two or more designs and switch between existing and proposed 1, 2, 3": I believe you may have that flexibility. The renovation filter is like another set of Model View Options with controls on how to graphically show elements tagged as existing, demolished, or new.

You can tag a new wall to be both New and show only on a specific renovation filter such as Proposed 1 or 2. Existing walls can be tagged as existing and set to show on all relevant filters. If you tell one of the proposed filters to HIDE existing tags, then that filter will not be considered relevant. You have the ability, with each renovation filter, to show or hide existing, demolished, and new elements.

The cumbersome part of all of this is probably making sure all of your elements have the right tags, and monitoring them as the project evolves. Which is where the find and select box and edit selection set will be a help.

The only limitation I'm currently looking into is what to do if I'm cutting a hole in an existing slab (or wall) for renovation. Again, my little experimentation here so far is preliminary so I'm sure once a project gets detailed there may be some modeling conflicts. But on a schematic level, I'm liking the potential.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I'm looking for is the ability to swtich from EXISTING to DEMO to PROPOSED 1, 2, 3, ... without having invisible objects causing messy intersections with visible objects. If it allows for different filters to be assigned than that's good and makes the tool more useful than if it can only track a single renovation/demo/design (which is what I meant by "1" set).

I actually think this could be a major deal for AC. Tracking the states of a project seems like a useful and logical extension of this kind of software. This happens to be my bread and butter, which is renovations, refitting, modifying, etc. I've tried to make AC track that through layer logic but it's got it's problems.

Hopefully by making this function native and making it a feature it will have the problems ironed out.
Mario Sacco
Expert
It should be nice to have autocad 2011 export setting. In autocad 2011 they extended the hatch transparency, so Archicad could export its fills transparency. It means the possibility to export nice elevetions and sections with fills and shadows using transparency.
MacBook M1 Max 64GB- OS X 12.2.1 - Archicad 27
https://www.archiradar.it/en/
Anonymous
Not applicable
x