Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Use a Group of Fills to create/add/substract into a morph/slab

AlexKyWe
Contributor

This issue is driving me crazy and I don't know if there is even a solution to it.

What I am trying to do: Say you have your GIS 2D map with all your roads, grasslands, water and other features and everything is neatly combined in groups. I want to make meshes/slabs out of them and then with solid element operations to substract/add them from a terrain mesh. This requires ofc to turn all these elements into something solid first.

AlexKyWe_1-1716560797819.png

Problem is, you can't turn them into a solid all at once but you have to select them one by one. Even worse, if the element is making a loop (say, a road that encircles a grass field), then the selection will create an area including the inner one, resultling in having to substract the inner area afterwards 
AlexKyWe_0-1716560700965.png

All this is incredebly time consuming and I am trying to find a workflow of making urban contexts in archicad easy.

Operating system used: Windows

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

This would be very easy to do with the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection.

Using a Grasshopper command, you can select a group of elements in Archicad and use them as source. Then, based on their geometry, you could generate those Meshes/Slabs from Grasshopper.

Might be worth taking a look at that workflow.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi Laszlo,

Unfortunatelly Rhino is not an option but yeah that would be sweet.

It  would be nice if Graphisoft gave a comprehensive guide on how to make contexts easy based on actual 2D/3D urban situations because I really can't find a cohesive one so far and without 3rd party paid plugins

Hi,

To help you can use the Profiler Add-On witch is in the Goodies suite.

Select a group of Fills, Extrude them with the Add-On will create a 3D object on plan but oriented horizontally.

You can then convert this object to Form and Rotate and Move it to the right position.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

Setup info provided by author