Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you go about creating this? (accurately)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a rough model of part of a building concept at University. I'm quite familiar with the tools in ArchiCAD but since this structure is not 'typical' the tools don't seem to accommodate, or at least not in the way I would like them to.

I've tried creating this elevation (image attached of model) with a mesh, since the outlines of the elevation were created in ArchiCAD (2D fill), however, I can't rotate the Mesh on the y axis i.e it's drawn on plan but in 3D it needs to be rotates 90 degrees so it becomes a wall.

I've also tried creating each piece of the wall using OBJECTiVE but again, this takes far too long and I'm still left with empty spaces on the wall. ( the Model shows that there are walls protruding inside and outside of other elements)

I guess the mesh could work but it's just that it doesn't look like it can be rotated in 3D.

Thank you for your help.

PS I know the concept may look 'crazy' ( well contemporary architecture) but that's what they want in Architecture school these days...

photo.JPG
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if it helps but heres a photo of the piece of the model I'm trying to recreate.
photo-3.JPG
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I've attached a image of the piece that needs to be extended... It needs to be at an angle though because it has been rotated at an angle, the bottom line is not straight, it needs to be extended to the floor...
Try the following process, referring to the attached image. Also, make your building an OBJECTiVE assembly, which means you can always return it to its original position after rotating and reshaping.
  • 1. I've mocked up something like your image.

2. The first step is to get an orthogonal view on the face to be reshaped. In this case I've opened an elevation onto the face, and tilted the model so the face is vertical.

3. Draw the shape you would like the face to be with the fill tool (trace over the elevated model). Then select the fill and face object, and use OBJECTiVE > Component > Change Profile to reshape the object.

4. This finished surface in elevation...

5. ...and in 3D.
I hope this helps.
Folded.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
I've attached a image of the piece that needs to be extended... It needs to be at an angle though because it has been rotated at an angle, the bottom line is not straight, it needs to be extended to the floor...
Try the following process, referring to the attached image. Also, make your building an OBJECTiVE assembly, which means you can always return it to its original position after rotating and reshaping.
  • 1. I've mocked up something like your image.

2. The first step is to get an orthogonal view on the face to be reshaped. In this case I've opened an elevation onto the face, and tilted the model so the face is vertical.

3. Draw the shape you would like the face to be with the fill tool (trace over the elevated model). Then select the fill and face object, and use OBJECTiVE > Component > Change Profile to reshape the object.

4. This finished surface in elevation...

5. ...and in 3D.
I hope this helps.
Works perfect! I also forgot that I can split and rotate OBJECTiVE cinponents in Elevations too which saved a lot of time.

... Of course now it's almost finished and my Tutor has seen it, He wants me to change the design, again for the 4th time (same to the other 13 students in my group - We feel he can't make u his mind of what he wants

So now I need to make a frame (steel) and use that to place these shapes onto... I will probably be using the slab tool and OBJECTiVE again, unless there is a faster way.

For a quick reference, I'm looking to make a skeleton similar to a Geodesic Dome and sculptures similar to Alexander Calder.

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm starting on the new(er) concept and wanted to know how I can 'fill in' the spaces between frames I've created with OBJECTiVE (Elevation profile). I've tried doing it on a elevation but because the geometry is so angular, I always end up with gaps due to the elevation angle against the frame angle.

Looking at the image, how else could I go about adding pieces to this frame ? Would the 'assembly' work in 3D better than using the Elevation profiles?

Thank You
image.png
[Do you still get the mesh-to-roof add-on in 14?]
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I've tried doing it on a elevation but because the geometry is so angular, I always end up with gaps due to the elevation angle against the frame angle.
Looking at the image, how else could I go about adding pieces to this frame ? Would the 'assembly' work in 3D better than using the Elevation profiles
I'm struggling to get past thinking, "how would I construct something like that, i.e. in real life?"

However, I think the answer lies in the fact that you can't solely construct this shape from the plane of the floor plan or an elevation. You will have to frequently reorientate the objects or assemblies that make up this structure to get a clear handle on the connections between them. You can use OBJECTiVE's assembly tools quite effectively to temporarily reorientate assemblies for modelling purposes and then return them to their original position.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Ignacio wrote:
[Do you still get the mesh-to-roof add-on in 14?]
Yes
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
I've tried doing it on a elevation but because the geometry is so angular, I always end up with gaps due to the elevation angle against the frame angle.
Looking at the image, how else could I go about adding pieces to this frame ? Would the 'assembly' work in 3D better than using the Elevation profiles
I'm struggling to get past thinking, "how would I construct something like that, i.e. in real life?"

However, I think the answer lies in the fact that you can't solely construct this shape from the plane of the floor plan or an elevation. You will have to frequently reorientate the objects or assemblies that make up this structure to get a clear handle on the connections between them. You can use OBJECTiVE's assembly tools quite effectively to temporarily reorientate assemblies for modelling purposes and then return them to their original position.
I've managed to change the frames with OBJECTiVE and I'm now adding the panels with the Mesh tool, via the mesh-to-roof add on.

I understand what your saying though... I can't be linear with this construction i.e a lot of adjustments will be made in order to make pieces fit together... I've found myself working in all possible views too!

I have to say that I'm pleased my tutor (and I) have altered the design so many times (literally each week) to come up with a structure that 'works' better and is also challenging and of course contemporary. Prior to this design, I used the geometry of the site location to create the internal spaces and external walls... Apparently this method is over 100 years old which is why my first concept looked like a '"Shoe box". Looking at my colleagues designs, that's exactly what they are still doing and is which is why my tutor is using teaching methods associated with 5th year students, which is why it's so hard for us- he admitted (and I'm 2nd year)

Thanks all for your help
Anonymous
Not applicable
How can I split this elevation profile again so that they become 2 separate pieces? I've split the original profile already on the top, but it's created to outer edges to still be joined together...

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
How can I split this elevation profile again so that they become 2 separate pieces? I've split the original profile already on the top, but it's created to outer edges to still be joined together...
The split line must at least touch some part of the object to be split. In the case where you have a huge void between the bodies in a single object, make the cut so it takes a tiny sliver off on or other body.
Ralph Wessel BArch