Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lag and UI flicker with Trace Reference

JohnJay
Expert

Can someone check this pls so I can understand if it's something on my end or if it's some kind of bug, or expected behaviour.

The attached file is very simple - just some intersecting circles on a hidden layer and shown as Trace Reference

With the TR active (circles layer TR), use the magic wand tool to create fills or a slab in one of the sections created by the intersecting circles

On my machine the Layer button on the Info Box starts flashing for a while, then the Magic Wand pre highlight appears and finally the fill appears, but there's a few seconds lag.

Is it working smoothly with you?

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly

Your view for circles reference has a 'Custom' layer set.

You should never use any settings that says 'Custom'.

Change that to a layer combination that shows the circles.

BarryKelly_0-1694739623048.png

Now try and it should be better.

There will still be a lag because it needs to find the circles in the trace reference.

If you simply turn the circles layer on in the main plans (and turn the trace off) it will be instant.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JohnJay
Expert

Thanks for taking the time to try this.

I wasn't aware of the "no custom" anything so will keep this in mind in future.

I made a layer combo for just the circles but I don't think it makes much difference.  Still lots of flickering and lag.

Does the 'Layers' button on the Info Box start flickering when you use the magic wand tool (with TR on)?

I get that there is no delay when TR is off.  I have several issues like this when using TR so I'm trying to understand if it's performance related or if it's a bug.

In a scene with only a few circles I wouldn't expect any performance issues

Yes I had the flickering of the layer name as well when the view was set to custom layers.

As soon as I set it to a layer combination that had the layer for the circles turned on flicker went away.

BarryKelly_0-1694765831602.png

But there is still a lag for the fills to appear.

That is just because you are using a trace reference of a view that is using different settings to the plan view point you are placing the fills in.

Trace has always slowed Archicad down as it has to think about 2 different view settings at the same time.

Only turn it on when you need it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
JohnJay
Expert

OK I made layer combinations for both the reference layer on its own, and for the 2d view without the circles, and now I think it's working per your comments - no more flickering and shorter lag using the magic wand tool.

I tried this on a more complex scene with my usual workflow using an image file as my background (Trace Reference) and although I don't want to cry victory just yet, I think making sure there are layer combinations for all views (not 'Custom') makes a big difference to performance.

I'll report back once I've tested it a bit more but so far so good - thank you

If you are magic wanding to a view of the same storey, don't bother using trace reference.

Just turn the layer on that you want to magic wand to (layer with circles in this case).

Magic want the fills and then turn the circles layer off.

It will be much more responsive.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
JohnJay
Expert

Sometimes the extra TR options (transparency/change colour/lock layer to background/auto fill transparency etc) can be useful and that's why I prefer to use TR if possible but yes, just hiding/unhiding the layer is much easier on performance

Hopefully setting layer combos as you suggested will help

kristoftihanyi
Contributor

I just had this issue, and I found that turning off Snap Guides and Points and guide lines while trace is on solves the problem. 

Thank you so much. I came across this post after experiencing the same issue myself and turning off the snap points and guidelines when using TR has solved it for me.

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I was having an issue with a Trace Reference slowing down my drawing and noticed my layer set was custom. Setting it back to a named set solved the issue as you stated. I was just wondering what was the reason behind this ?

Thanks.