Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling an Encroachment Plane

dcerezo
Advocate
Hey all,

In Los Angeles, single family lots have what is a called an Encroachment Plane superimposed on the buildable volume that you can put a house in. It starts at grade, goes up 20ft, then angles at 45 degrees until you hit height limit. On a flat lot this is easy to model and whenever I cut a section I can quickly see if my house is exceeding this imaginary boundary.

However, I now have a hillside lot to contend with. The grade changes constantly, even from one side of the lot to the other. It would be very convenient if I could model this 45 degree plane that follows the hillside from 20ft to height limit.

Does anyone have any idea how I could model this? See attached image for what I mean.

I was thinking like some sort of mesh that spans two splines, but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance!
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
3 REPLIES 3
perhaps you could use the Mesh to Roof Goody to create roof planes from your site mesh, edit or simplify the resulting roofs and elevate them.?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Barry Kelly
If it is level side to side (and a constant width) then you could use the railing tool.
Create a custom profile rail the shape of that envelope.
Then place the rail along one side of your site.
If you crate a contour line on the mesh, you can even just magic wand it to that line.

Or there has been work done on a polyline profile object.
Maybe this can help (not sure), but again I think the profile has to be a constant size/shape as it follows the path.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=69913

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
And assign a transparent building material to the Profile Barry is referring to so it will not hide other elements in 3D when you view it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27