BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

No Snap Points in Trace Reference in AC18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Some time ago I had written a post about inactive snap points of windows/doors when overlapping a window/door from ground floor with a window/door from 1st floor using the Trace reference.(there would be no snapping points to fix the exact position for the windows/doors in the Trace Reference)

As nobody answered, I continued looking for the solution (it took me long time and many experiments, really)..Here is a print screen of one experiment I've done and this what I have found and if I am wrong, please correct me.
In a new project I've drawn 2 walls, which have the hight on 2 levels from ground floor up to the roof.On the first wall I placed randomly some windows. I then switched to the 1st floor and drawn some randomly windows on the 2nd wall. Then I tried to line up windows from the two walls using trace reference. Ironically, when the walls are set to be visible on all the storeys the snapping points would stop working in TRACE REFERENCE and when it is set to be visible only to home storey, the snapping points work properly...I did the same experiment in AC17 and there it works properly..

Maybe it is not such an important issue you would say... but it is really, really annoying for those who work with walls which have the heights of many storeys.

Am I the only one to have discovered this BUG ?
Hope to get some improvements from Graphisoft..such a shame..
30 REPLIES 30
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I could reproduce this bug in AC18. It works in AC17 for me too.
I will report this to Graphisoft.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Bug aside, this is easy to achieve in the 3D window. I think people tend to underestimate what they can do in 3D. Takes a shift in thinking...

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did use 3D to overlap windows/door, but being used to Trace Reference, it was important for me to find out that it just stoped working in Ac18, for variouse reasons.

However, thank you for your answers.
IC
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just discovered this. I'm working on a gut renovation and I'm putting new windows and doors into the exact location of the existing ones. So I'm trace referencing from a proposed plan to the existing plan. No snaps!

Working in 3D can't help you out here... can it?

I can think of many work arounds, but the easiest is to bring back snaps in trace.
I wish I had the time to investigate and document all of the situations where I am not getting a snap point when I think I should. Or when I have to take extra measures to get it, and also to get a lock on the direction I am trying to move something. Between these two things I am frustrated more than just a little.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve and others, please report any missing snap points you encounter in the future in this thread.

P.S.: I also modified the title of this thread so we know what topic it is about.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
I've also reported a similar bug to Graphisoft regarding snap points in trace reference that may or may not be directly related to this bug.

If you have GDL objects that react to model view options and draw themselves with different hotspots in different situations the trace reference hotspots are loaded based on the MVO of the active view instead of the view being used as a trace reference.

Again we had no issue with the same objects in AC17.

Very frustrating to say the least!
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hello,

Based on a direct email from Steven I thought I might add that this matter is set to be addressed in the next update for ArchiCAD 18 which is currently slated for March.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Here is another time when I can't select even the node.

I want to adjust the reference line for this little roof/cricket. I can not select he node to make it shorter. Possibly because the roof comes to a point along the reference line. ?

The fix is not so bad. I just have to shorten the reference line before I adjust the roof down to a point on the reference line edge. I it just a bit of a bother. I am working at the speed of reflex and have to break my flow to deal with it. I think the node should be adjustable or perhaps grayed out when it becomes unselectable.
2015-02-20_8-25-30.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!