Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Which tool for exterior vertical siding?

Ernest Atanasiu
Advisor
Hello there,

I am trying to cover an exterior wall with a simple siding, made up of 3 wooden slates, like in the picture.
The solution I am using now is 3 walls copied hundreds of times. Not the best solution, I agree.
I tried with the new railing tool but somehow the custom posts are not visible in plan view.

What do you suggest?
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
9 REPLIES 9
My first thought about this is to use Columns. It may depend someone what you need to do with them.
Interactive Schedules? Would it help to have that siding in an linked module? Lot's of things to consider.
Just something for a rendering?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Lingwisyer
Guru
I would probably use columns in a module then array said module across your wall. In that way it is a lot easier to make any changes required. Columns also don't "connect" to walls which can be very annoying at times...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Maybe this can help?
I haven't looked into it myself - just remember seeing it.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58432

Or this might help you to create the 2D symbol for your custom railing.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/modelling/railing-tool-basics-how-to-create-a-2d-sym...

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
To keep file size down, I would consider making an object (.GSM) from the 3 elements, and maybe use SEO to cut out any doors/windows.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
runxel
Legend
Let me just drop "facade" here.
This could also work nicely. You just need to delete the panels.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Ernest Atanasiu
Advisor
The siding must be connected to the wall for openings and also I have to SEO at a different angle.

@Barry
The addon is looking very good, I will give it a try.
The tutorial for 2D symbol of custom railings is what I was looking for.

@runxel
I am having the same problem with the 2D symbol of custom mullions. It shows like a rectangle on plan. I'll see if the GDL script allows me to change that.

Thank you all, now let's see which one of these will work best.
arch. ernest atanasiu
Tim Ball
Expert
Curtain wall would do this
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
RandyC
Advocate
Check this link :

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58432
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Ernest Atanasiu
Advisor
I tested both railing and CW.

railing cons: height of profile must be known prior to saving as custom inner post, otherwise you have to re-save and edit again the custom profile and the associated 2D symbol; if you want to hide the posts in the MVO for other stairs, the siding will become also invisible.
railing pro: easy to setup and draw.

CW cons: didn't get the floor plan 2D symbol working.
CW pro: height can be adjusted easily.
arch. ernest atanasiu