cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

common sense

KeesW
Advocate
I wish AC used more common sense!

When I change a wall to a dashed demolition line type shouldn't doors and windows in those walls logically also change? But they don't - doors and windows have to be separately changed. Could an AC boffin please explain ANY circumstance where this might apply?

Is this a wish list item?

AC creates more work in lots of little ways by its (seemingly) deliberately dumb interpretation of user's requirements. Maybe it is straying too far from low level users, focussing on the spectacular but ignoring the mundane things that really drive productivity.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
I vote Essential.
Anonymous
Not applicable
AC creates more work in lots of little ways by its (seemingly) deliberately dumb interpretation of user's requirements. Maybe it is straying too far from low level users, focussing on the spectacular but ignoring the mundane things that really drive productivity.
I agree.
TomWaltz
Participant
KeesW wrote:

When I change a wall to a dashed demolition line type shouldn't doors and windows in those walls logically also change? But they don't - doors and windows have to be separately changed. Could an AC boffin please explain ANY circumstance where this might apply?
No, they shouldn't. At least not automaticallly, because then the converse would be true: a wall that has solid lines would have to have openings with solid lines. I could see where the walls might have a "use line type of openings" and "use pens of openings", so you can either use the settings of the doors or windows or you could override them to match the wall.
Tom Waltz
KeesW
Advocate
Point taken. However, smart defaults, with options to change them for those who want to, would help many users.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Everyone seems to want the program to automatically do everything they want it to but not anything they don't want. Unfortunately everyone wants different things and automatic functions are extremely annoying when they do something unwanted, unexpected, or worse, unknown. Take for example all of the lovely automatic functions in Word when MS seems to decide that they know better what you want than you do. Or how about the walls that automatically decide to change the story they are on? (Fortunately fixed in 11.)

No, I think GS should stick to making automatic only those basic functions that we all want (like composite intersections in plan and section) and leave it up to us to do the tweaks and adjustments peculiar to our particular practices. This of course also means making it easy for us to modify and customize the program to our particular needs. One of the most powerful features of ArchiCAD is the ability to create library parts that do exactly what you want, and only what you want, even if (especially if?) there is no one else on earth that does it the same way.
Matthew wrote:
Everyone seems to want the program to automatically do everything they want it to but not anything they don't want. Unfortunately everyone wants different things and automatic functions are extremely annoying when they do something unwanted, unexpected, or worse, unknown.
I agree.

I also agree with Tom that the setting could be any option, but then we'd have more complaints about how the dialog boxes are getting so complex...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004