cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

multi split level buildings

KeesW
Advocate
I am drawing my own existing house. It has 6 levels, 4 of them are split. It was started in AC17 and than transferred to AC18 to make use of the better features in this version. I am having endless problems with Archicad's philosophy of only showing walls on each storey. 'All relevant storeys' doesn't work properly because the house is too complicated. In fact, it is a nightmare. I can understand why Archicad's examples and tutorials focus on simple single or multi-story buildings - users might otherwise be discouraged. This one certainly is.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
14 REPLIES 14
gpowless
Advocate
My storey settings refer both to floor levels and top of walls. That way I can bridge multiple storey levels (show walls on All Relevant Storeys) and still remain true to floor plan views.

The real trick to this method is to be able to set the elevations in proper relation to each wall height since the elevation must correspond to the storey above and below. However, once mastered, changing storey heights becomes a breeze without affecting the placement of other elements.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
rob2218
Enthusiast
this truly does seem like a LOT of graphical cut plane and viewmap gymnastics just to get the plans to read right.....I mean, in all honesty, speaking out loud, you'd think that after, what.....18 versions of Archicad....Graphisoft would somehow figured out how to do this task of the "1/2 story" issue.

I'm sure this discussion has been around since Archicad 1.0......but to date, nothing has been truly programmed.

Perhaps in the next version....the "walls" settings could have more than just "show in relative stories" or "show in home story only".

Perhaps walls can have the ability to be selected in "custom" story you want to show it...whether it story 1, story 2 or story 1.5, instead of only 2 options to where to show walls in plan view.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
"KeesW" wrote:
Thank you all. I'll just keep going.
Maybe 2D CAD is not dead after all.
My opinion is keep it for flexibility, but be careful on when and where 2D is applied.
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAWeTyyDBqQ

and in german much simpler and shorter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GSqwqFU46o
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob2218
Agreed. As a newbie I am trying to work out how to model and view a typical floor plan. The absolute basic requirement of an architect.
The building I am working on is mulit level / split level and it seems from reading this blog that.....Archicad cant really do it. Furthermore, to achieve a work around you need considerable skill to perform 'viewmap gymnastics'.

Perhaps I'll get there in 6 months time. In the meantime 2D cad wins hands down.

Argh! Just a little frustrated