cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

multi split level buildings

KeesW
Advocate
I am drawing my own existing house. It has 6 levels, 4 of them are split. It was started in AC17 and than transferred to AC18 to make use of the better features in this version. I am having endless problems with Archicad's philosophy of only showing walls on each storey. 'All relevant storeys' doesn't work properly because the house is too complicated. In fact, it is a nightmare. I can understand why Archicad's examples and tutorials focus on simple single or multi-story buildings - users might otherwise be discouraged. This one certainly is.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
14 REPLIES 14
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Maybe this youtube video can help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osEAOJgDPPU

Sterkte
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Tim Ball
Expert
Kees, the key to this is to create different views using different cut planes, then connect them in a layout. I design a lot of multi level buildings and have got used to it now, but I agree GS. Could address the issue better.
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
KeesW
Advocate
Dontknow
the video looks useful - if only I could understand it!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

KeesW
Advocate
Tim
How do you set levels and stories when splits are staggered @ 1350mm?
Could you please expand your answer?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Tim Ball
Expert
I have a current design that has a ground floor where the walls are at 0, then an upper ground where the walls are at 1350.

Draw you model with all the elements at the correct z value to create your split level all within the ground floor storey.

Create a normal view for the ground floor using a conventional cut-plane of say 1100.

Then create another view for the upper ground floor with a cut-plane of say 2450 (1350+1100). That cuts the doors and windows correctly for the upper ground floor.

Place both views onto a layout and knit them together along the line of the level change. What you then see is a single ground floor plan showing both levels correctly.
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
KeesW
Advocate
Tim
So you don't use stories? Instead, you create everything on the Ground Floor and then separate them into required stories with cut lines. Each separated 'storey' is then saved in its own Navigator view map. Have I got that right?

I had hoped that 'All relevant stories' would do that.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
As a 'rule of thumb' I divide the stories up with the 1.500 mm floorplan plane projection in mind. If the split level gap is close to or more than 1.500 mm, I would create a seperate story for it. If it is more like a 1.000 mm or smaller difference, I would set up a 2nd set of view with adjusted floorplan cutplan (for example 2.500 mm).

There tends to be a certain amount of masking of unwanted elements etc with the small story differences, but it is possible to make it work.

Also keep in mind the behaviour of things like stairs with story up and story down symbol. Doors and windows are also notoriously fiddly with 2d symbols.

Things like wall projection play a huge part in getting the floorplan to look like you would want.

Sometimes you have to divide walls up vertically per story to get the sort of behaviour you would like in floor plans.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Example section to hopefully clarify.
B616_WD-01_141201.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL