BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Option to set default tool settings per view set

Somebody had proposed this a long time ago and I think it would be essential for 10. I can't find the thread now, if somebody does please post the link.

The idea was that you should have the option to set tool default settings with the view set. If you are working on a 'Code Site Plan', the text would then default to A-CODE-NOTE-SITE or whatever, fills to A-CODE-AREA or whatever, etc.

Some popup to set tools to 'default', 'custom', or 'per view set' should be pretty visible in the toolbox I guess.
1 REPLY 1
TomWaltz
Participant
I wrote an add-on that does something like that a couple years ago. For text and dimension tools, it looks at the current working window (plan, section, or detail), what the current scale is, and what layers are turned on. I think it did some other things like resetting the defaults for object-based tools to Use object pens, linetypes, & material. I think it also set the dimension defaults to the office's standard and adjusted the witness line gap for the scale it was placed at.

It works well when dealing with a specific standard template for the office, and the users barely notice it's there.

I think the hard part about including that in the Archicad system would be actually setting the whole thing up, every tool, every layer combination/view, etc. I think Archicad would need is not necessarily a one-to-one mapping but the logic to make the decision.

If layerCombination = "Code Plan" 
{put text & dimensions on code layer]
I like the idea, but think it would require a really thorough implementation to work for everyone.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!