BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Trim to Roof while in section elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to use the trim to roof tool while in sections and elevations. This would allow faster manipulation of objects. This would save me from having to go back and forth between the sections and floor plans while adjusting the heights of things. It would also be nice if the section's would update in real time like the floor plan rather than having to rebuild the entire view every time i change something.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bruce wrote:
...Revit's way of doing it is brilliant - once you trim, it stays stuck to that roof until you say otherwise. Much easier.
Sounds similar to solid element operations...
Bruce
Expert
Hmmm. I might start using SEO for my roof trims instead. But that begets the question - why are the two so dissimilar in function and result?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've started using SEO instead of roof trim lately. Handy when you alter roof height and trims go with it. Not handy when you want to know which walls you've trimmed (get no feedback in settings, like "undo roof trim" button).
Both ways have +'s and -'s
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bruce wrote:
Hmmm. I might start using SEO for my roof trims instead. But that begets the question - why are the two so dissimilar in function and result?
Actually SEO's are more advanced and are the preferred method (IMHO of course); however there may be times that you do not wish the trim to follow or rely on an operator; for these trim to roof is more practical.
TomWaltz
Participant
Bruce wrote:
I think it's just historical. Trim to Roof existed first and just was not removed when SEOs came along.
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
S2art wrote:

I've started using SEO instead of roof trim lately. Handy when you alter roof height and trims go with it. Not handy when you want to know which walls you've trimmed (get no feedback in settings, like "undo roof trim" button).
Both ways have +'s and -'s

Gidday mate (I'm in the country now). You know you can use the Maintain part of the dialog to an extent, to see what is SEO'd with what.

I have stuck with SEO since we were first lucky enough to have it, although one (obsure?) benefit to trimming to the roof is that the roof doesn't have to continue all the way over the wall. Useful in some dutch gable situations.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:

...I think it's just historical. Trim to Roof existed first and just was not removed when SEOs came along.
Actually, Graphisoft can't simply do away with Trim to Roof, because its needed if you use modules for parts of your model that contain the trimmed components. Basically, SEOs don't work with modules...so you gotta' use trim to roof in these cases.

This has been discussed in other areas of the forum...just wanted to reiterate it here for those who are considering which technique to use.

Dan K
Learn and get certified!