BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Placind Doors and Windows

Srinivas
Booster
Hai all,

In Archicad while placing doors and windows I use the distance snapping and relative construction method to place the doors and windows at the required distance in the wall. Is this the easiest and correct method of doing it?

I remember that in Revit while placing doors/windows a dynamic dimension will come and guide you to place the door/window at the required distance this will be much more easy to place the doors and windows and will increase the productivity.

Best Regards,
Srinivas
India
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
Srinivas wrote:
I remember that in Revit while placing doors/windows a dynamic dimension will come and guide you to place the door/window at the required distance this will be much more easy to place the doors and windows and will increase the productivity.
sounds like a fantasic feature . . . you can acheive something similar in archiCAD by hovering your cursor over the node you want to measure from and typing in the coordinates ('x100+' and hit return to place the door 100mm from the node in the x direction for example).

but the example you've given of revit giving dynamic feedback as you place the door sounds good. go place it in the wishes forum!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Srinivas wrote:
In Archicad while placing doors and windows I use the distance snapping and relative construction method to place the doors and windows at the required distance in the wall. Is this the easiest and correct method of doing it?
If it works for you its good.

I don't worry about placing doors and windows in exact locations until they have been dimensioned. I don't usually even worry about the size or type until I can group edit them all at once if possible. Initially, they are just place holders for me until I get around to tweaking and locating them precisely. I do use the Favorites tool for this when ever possible.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
The dynamic placement dimension feature of Revit and Architectural desktop is fantastic, and it's definately one of the things I miss.... I think we need to make a wish The nice thing about this, vversus typing in x1000+ is that it works on all walls, measured from the outside edge, so if you have a wall sitting at a 105 degree angle, it works just the same, where as x1000+ would not...

cheers,
dan
TomWaltz
Participant
Daniel wrote:
The dynamic placement dimension feature of Revit and Architectural desktop is fantastic, and it's definately one of the things I miss.... I think we need to make a wish The nice thing about this, vversus typing in x1000+ is that it works on all walls, measured from the outside edge, so if you have a wall sitting at a 105 degree angle, it works just the same, where as x1000+ would not...

cheers,
dan
When we demoed Revit (before we picked Archicad), I thought the input methods were really outstanding, since they showed both dimensions and ghosts of what it would look like after the element was placed.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
r1000 will work if you put a user origin (alt+shift) on the corner node first

bill
Djordje
Ace
bill wrote:
r1000 will work if you put a user origin (alt+shift) on the corner node first
... and r1000+ will even if you don't.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Or after relocating the User Origin with ALT-SHIFT type r1000, then press ALT-r to lock the radius and by moving the mouse you can find the intersection of the Wall and the circle belonging to the radius.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!