BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trouble with windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
Having trouble with putting windows into walls. Some walls dont let to put windows at all. Dont get it coz some walls have let me put some windows.
Program has sayd "this window expands over the wall"
I dragged one window to another story but it only shows lines.
Any clue what can be the problem and how can I fix it?
Having trouble with expressing myself a little.

3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Windows and doors are "hosted" by the wall that they are inserted into. They only cut holes in the host wall.

Dragging them out of that wall leaves them floating in space... but still hosted by / associated with the original wall.

In your screenshots, it appears that the circled window was hosted in the wall below. You must place the window in the gray wall itself. (Dragging a copy upwards does not change the host.)

If your wall spans multiple stories, then windows/doors can be moved from story to story. You must use the Floor Plan Cut Plane to generate your floor plans in this case, as the symbolic representation will not show the openings on the proper stories/floors.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
It could be that your wall is too thin, or the 'Reveal to wall face' is set beyond the wall's thickness. If you're trying to place it in 3D, maybe you should switch to 2D, it's easier to position and edit in my opinion.

Try deleting the window, press 'Alt' and click on the window you want to copy, then re-place it at the position you circled. Karl's explanation probably matches your case.
Karl Ottenstein
Clarification:

IF you drag the window in the 3D window, then it will be moved into the upper wall and the upper wall will become the new host.

If instead you change the elevation value in the parameters (in any view), the host wall remains the same and you see just the outlines outside of the host wall.

See attached. The window on the left was elevated by changing the parameter for the head height. The window on the right was dragged from the story below.

More info:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/virtual-building/dedicated-o...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!