BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3D documents - broken??

ChrisB
Participant
Frustration with 3D documents continues...

Model limited by marquee & cutting planes to create a 3D document view & view point resulting in simple final detail (see first image)

Return to viewpoint after further work on the project to find that the view now won't show beams &/or columns (see second image)

Items deleted in error...no. Layers, renovation or MVO change...no (see third image).

Broken?? Ideas anyone??
AC16-24 Solo (latest version)
OSX 10.15.6 - MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 64Gb DDR4 - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisB
Participant
It doesn't want to seem to let me add anymore attachments...
OSX 10.15.6 - MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 64Gb DDR4 - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
ChrisB
Participant
Image too big...

Second image...

Note: drawing on layout (first image) set to manual update so still showed the beam & unaltered dimensions
ChrisB
Participant
Third image...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, the forum lets only one attachment per post.

About the 3D Document: You can save any state of the 3D Viewpoint as a 3D Document.
You can do a lot of things in 3D to have it display only the elements you want.
After displaying only certain Layers you can go to 3D. Then from the displayed elements you can select the ones you need and use the Show Selection in 3D command of the context menu to further limit the display to the selected element. You can then even draw a Marquee and use the Show Selection/Marquee in 3D command of the context menu to further limit what part of those elements is displayed.

When you have exactly what you want you can create a new 3D Document. Or, you can select an existing 3D Document and with the context menu command redefine it to be based on what is currently visible in 3D.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
ChrisB
Participant
I’m not sure why the beam & column disappeared from the 3D document, maybe I did change something that effected them but selecting the items again & redefining the document corrected the problem. Broken documents…fixed…

Laszlo, thanks for going over the various options for limiting the display. Everything makes sense & I use most of what you talk about on a regular basis although I can’t seem to get the marquee tool to work in 3D. I define the plane, set the height to encompass the items I want but nothing shows when I select ‘Show selection/marquee in 3D’ in the context menu. I have to switch to the layout & use the marquee there to get it to work. Looking at the following example, what am I missing…why won't this work?
Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 07.25.57.png
Learn and get certified!