Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Poly count: 49,636

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I've created a railway track, using custom profiles (beams) but now my ArchiCAD file seems to be very slow. I find that I have to open things gradually in layers in the 3D window just to view them. As you can see from the attachment, the beams are taking up most of the count as I have also inserted sleepers to make the rail track more realistic.

The 'Objects' are 4 Cadimage railings which are around 7metres long... perhaps I should replace them with ArchiCAD parts instead?

The plans open just fine, sections are slow and the 'wait time' in 3D goes up to 166 minutes. I try to stop the 3D process but ArchiCAD crashed.

Is this poly count way to large? How can I 'fix' the problem?

Thank You
27 REPLIES 27
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Hi NStocks,
AC 14 is working sweet here with 2.3mil polys.
Maybe there's a limitation in the student version?

Cheers
Francois
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
Anonymous
Not applicable
François wrote:
Hi NStocks,
AC 14 is working sweet here with 2.3mil polys.
Maybe there's a limitation in the student version?

Cheers
Francois
Wow, my 49K seems tiny compared to this! I don't really know why Graphisoft would limit the poly count, but it's so slow.... I've replaced Cadimage rails with standard ArchiCAD railing which has reduced the count by 10K!

I'm now looking at replacing the rails...
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
NStocks wrote:
How do I apply that to custom profile beams and standard beams?
Taking Ralph's illustration # 1 as an example, each curve will generate 9 facets, so that profile would generate about 75 polygons. Chamfers could replace the curves, reducing the polygon count to about 20. You could select one piece of rail and get a polygon count to see how many polygons your custom profiles are generating. Standard beams (rectangles) are as simple already.

David
Turns out that each beam has approx. 760 polygons... there are 10 main beams which form the track. Then there are several hundred sleepers, which are simple default beams (they are 20 polygons). The total poly count of all beams is 40k.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not having a great outcome with OBJECTiVE profiles, they won't bend in the correct shape and they don't join well (pieces protruding on each corner)

How would I change the complex profile complexity? As mentioned earlier, I can apparently eliminate curves and faces and reduce the detail but I don't see these options...
Screen shot 2011-03-11 at 17.56.57.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am thinking that maybe something else is wrong here.
Polycount is pretty low.
GS has put out a white paper about AC performance and in that it mentions that when polycount hits the millions is when things can start to slow down.

So I believe something else must be wrong in here. Maybe there was some operation within or involving those elements that takes much time to perform.

Or maybe calculating the intersection between those Beams takes a lot of time. If you make the Sleepers out of Walls, put them on a different Layer and set a different Layer Intersection Group Number for them, does that change anything?

If you copy-paste these railings into a brand new file started with New &Reset, is it still slow?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure, I've just checked the poly count in the white paper and 49K is nothing really...

I've copied the rails and sleepers into a new file (also reset) and it open is 3D very fast, less than 30 seconds I'd say. Should I copy the whole project in the same manner? Would that essentially resolve my issues or just copy them over?

Something I hope ArchiCAD 15 brings is a faster opening of plans. They are so slow compared to other programs but I can understand why... Still seems like there is no major speed improvement from ArchiCAD 13

Thank You
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Then you should do the forward merge: copy paste all your project data into that brand new project file.
See if that solve it.
That would mean something file specific caused the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I spoke to soon...

Copied all the project to the newly created file and when I view all elements in 3D it goes back to being very slow (and ultimately crash)

I copied all beams to one project: Worked fine (file 1)
I copied all walls, slabs to another project: Worked fine (file 2)
I copied all roofs to the same project as walls slabs: Worked fine (file 2)
I copied all beams from the newly created file (project 1) to the file will all roof, slab and walls: Not working correctly. (file 2)

What can I do now?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I suspect intersection issues between Walls and Beams.

If you copy only Walls and Beams into the same file, does the problem persist? If yes, then there is something between Walls and Beams.
Then try that different Layer, different Layer Intersection Group Number thing I suggested.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Walls and beams work fine (there are only 8 walls, the other buildings are slabs.

With regards to the other suggestion: As the sleepers and tracks are working fine I do not need to replace them with walls now do I? (the sleepers took me around 3 hours!)

Do I change the layer thing on the problematic file? (original file)

UPDATE: I've changed the layer intersection and it hasn't changed it unfortunately. Looks like I will be re-drawing all the context buildings around the railway