cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Our Community
Ask questions about this community and the platform.

Any ongoing work for the Forum UI?

Mats Knutsson
Advocate

Still extremely hard to use the forum because the enormous amounts of white space and lack of structure... I thought the vast amount of comments and good suggestions that followed the UI change would result in something useful. I spend quite a lot of time on various forums and this one is by far the most confusing (in a bad way). Sorry. /Mats

61 REPLIES 61

@DGSketcher wrote:

So if us "old timers" are using the wrong / outdated Threaded setting, then why is it still an option? 

Because it's hard to retro-actively move to "Linear" only now that we are a few years into using Khoros as some users will get stuck with "Threaded" if we force the setting to be Linear only. We are currently looking what the effort would be to go through all user settings and force them to Linear to maybe fully migrate to Linear in the next year.

Claudius Henrichs
German Community Manager
Leipzig, Germany

@Claudius wrote:

Quote behaviour

We're looking to add a "select message part to quote" functionality as initial investigation shows it should be doable pretty easily. I was also wondering for your insight in what behaviour you would prefer when using the "Reply" button next to a message. Should it prefill the editor with a quote of the message you reply to or start with an empty editor?

I assume in proper linear mode the Reply option only appears at the end of the thread and is active by default. So I then want to populate it with various quotes. I would like to go to another post / select part / all of the text / context click to "Quote" / the selection is then added to my post and the screen returns to the reply text box. This should work even if the Reply option hasn't been activated.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

@Claudius wrote:
When designing community experiences for a wider audience ranging from technical to non-technical though (which might be more used to an article format used on other web properties like news, blogs, even social media) then the very crammed layout gets overwhelming.

While I do acknowledge the challenges with delivering to a wide audience - I also do think they are exacerbate by decisions made by GS. The challenges are not unique to GS but where other developers seem to get by with a main site with basic information, a blog for news, a separate forum, some tutorials and a technical reference (https://speckle.systems/) - GS has created a behemoth which is devouring not only resources that should be spent on the product but also any sense of community. Excreting generic customer relations in its place. I find it hard to believe that there is anyone in charge at GS who can give a complete account of the structure of GSs online presence which ultimately seem driven by what ever marketing fancy at moment.

Just take a look at whats currently under the community header on the main GS page - two years isn't recent and the easy-to-browse structure is still being constantly restructured. And the banner takes up more than half the screen.

This is not a critique of your work but just a reminder that the current situation is of GS own making - seemingly cause by the obsession with the same idea of all-encompassing solutions packaged to market that is putting the future of AC as a solution viable for architects working under competitive conditions in peril. Marketing something as a community simply doesn't make it one.

thesleepofreason_3-1702051809604.png

@Claudius the forum was perfect three or so years ago before it was changed to be a “branded” interface. A majority of members here expressed displeasure and a desire to go back to the old one.  Our voices were not heard, so here we are.

Look at the old ArchiCAD-Talk structure. That’s what we want.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

@Claudius wrote:

We are targeting a similar layout as you can see in this Khoros based Community: Python code to create a new Dataiku dataset - Dataiku Community - Would love to hear what you think about that slight improvement.

OMG no.  That is the most childish layout I've ever seen... something for 10 year olds.

One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
poco2013
Mentor

Personality, i am not so much concerned about the structure of the forum but about its slow response. and, in particular, Graphisoft's slow response to the slow response. Most likely, the real problem is with the internet service or, perhaps where the services are located on the internet. But this has been going on for years now and , in my option, needs to be resolved by now. Graphisoft may not have expertise in internet services but if the present providers are not "up to the job", its time to look at other alternatives. Although, i suspect that cost has something to do with it?

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

@poco2013 wrote:

Personality, i am not so much concerned about the structure of the forum but about its slow response. and, in particular, Graphisoft's slow response to the slow response. Most likely, the real problem is with the internet service or, perhaps where the services are located on the internet. ...

This seems a likely culprit, as I have never had any slowness in the USA.  But... I am typically accessing the Community after most Europeans have left work, so that might be why it is fast for me...

One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

It's been now a few years of action, not words, without room for any possible doubt conveying the message that GS are absolutely clueless and couldn't care less about all this. Gratuitous destruction of what once was an enormous, differential asset (as if this had been planned by an extremely capable Autodesk mole), insult to injury, etc.

My gut feeling is even if a Wishlist turns up they will find some excuse to ignore it, especially if INSTANCING is top of the list... Let's face it Structural Analytic Models, Distance Guides, Physical Based Rendering, AI Visuals and a half cocked MEP2 update were nowhere to be seen in recent forum discussions.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)