Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Major rendering update

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm facing again simple rendering problems in interior rendering and most of them are the big ones:

1. camera clipping planes - no, cutting planes don't do the job! Without clipping planes rendering small rooms is simply impossible. Without those all the rendering ability in Archicad doesn't make any sense in the matter of interiors.
2. DOF, shutter speed etc should be attached to the camera, not to the rendering settings. Changing those all the time is way to difficult, time consuming and generates mistakes.
3. Camera settings are strange, hidden and there is this camera pathway which should be easly turned off (does anyone really render videos in Archicad ?)
4. Loading textures from embeded library doesn't make sense (in most cases) - it is so much time consuming, makes project files heavy, doesn't allow for easy texture update, ughh...
5. Loading and using the same texture within one material for diffuse, bump and reflection mask should be done by drag&drop. Loading those one by one each time is way to much time consuming if there are more than 10 materials to set them properly.
6. Generally setting up materials is strange. There are to many options producing not enough effects with to much time to set up. (does anyone really use several layers of reflection in Archicad ?).
I mean by this removing from material setting words like : Beckmann, GGX, Phong, Ward, Specular – Blinn, Specular – Phong (Legacy), Lambertian, Oren-Nayar, Irwan etc ... or hide them deeply under "only for real-CG-geeks, please don't use unless you have spare time and like to master outdated rending options".
7. Though I have knowledge of using Vray, Corona, Cycles etc. settings of Cinerender rendering is still a question for me. Way to many options giving strange rendering effects and easily giving renderings times counted in hours instead of minutes. I don't know how to use is realiably.

I know Archicad is not a CG tool and no one expects it to be. But with some simple tweaks could be useful. Its just about simplifing the setup and making the setup less time consuming..... and clipping planes !
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
1. When you say clipping planes, not cutting planes, what do you mean? Making me think of object clip / noclip.

3. Right click on the camera path in the navigator => Path... => Display Options => Camera's Only

4. Your textures files can be mapped to any file on your computer / network that you want. You just need to add the folder in question to your loaded libraries.

5. There have been many wishes for a clean up of the system. I think I made a wish a while back in wanting a slate material editor much like the one in 3dsMax.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
1. When you say clipping planes, not cutting planes, what do you mean? Making me think of object clip / noclip.
A clipping planes is in a cut plane that is always perpendicular to the camera and, what is most important, doesn't affect the light. Idea is to put a camera outside a small room with focal lenght lets say 50mm and render the room interior. Nearly every architectural design has a toilet that is small (2-4m2) and without clipping planes there is no way to render them. You can either use cutiing planes what lets skylight inside (useless) or make the camera angle extremely wide (useless).

3. Right click on the camera path in the navigator => Path... => Display Options => Camera's Only
OK, hidden option but possible, thanks.

4. Your textures files can be mapped to any file on your computer / network that you want. You just need to add the folder in question to your loaded libraries.
Possible for single file but doesn't work for teamwork and requires adding each folder of textures seperately. My texture catalog consist of 58 folders (wood, metal, rocks, masks etc) - am I supposed to add them one-by-one ? Please say no.

5. There have been many wishes for a clean up of the system. I think I made a wish a while back in wanting a slate material editor much like the one in 3dsMax.
Slate material would be great, and in my option this is a example of how to simplify workflow. Since AC has a connection with Grasshopper more and more poeple will by familiar with node-style workflow.
But if we are to wait years for slate materials I'd prefer a easier way to simplify the workflow but earlier.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Below there is a example of what I mean by not reliable rendering options.
I'v made this scene in 3 minuts in the basic template of AC21. The scene consists of 270 simple columns, 2 slabs and 3 walls - thats all.
I added default materials from AC internal catalog (bricks, glass, mirror, metal) and default Rendering options " Indoor Daylight Final (physical)".
Rendering resolution is 800x600 (default).
My computer is a 8-core Ryzen 1700 with 32GB RAM.

I needed 20 minutes to wait only for the preview that actually shows not much... 20 minutes !.... not 20 seconds !

What I want to show is not that CineRender is a bad rendering engine. Its about tailoring its settings inside Archicad for use by architects. If out-of-the-box it doesn't work (20 minutes for preview means it doesn't work) then there is something wrong with it.
Architects are not CG-experts, they are people that need good quality in minutes (for final renders they go to CG experts). Cinerender does give this ability, I know that, but there is work to do in optimizing its engine for architects.
Architects don't need "multilayered reflection materials with procedural "wave-type and "add" blending mode" glossiness with third layer of fresnel in bump".
They need just glossiness based on slider or a simple texture but rendering quickly and without artifacts.

PS. Please don't say that "Indoor Daylight Final" is not the one I'm supposed to use for preview, I know that. But then what for is it there ?
Barry Kelly
philips wrote:
Possible for single file but doesn't work for teamwork and requires adding each folder of textures seperately. My texture catalog consist of 58 folders (wood, metal, rocks, masks etc) - am I supposed to add them one-by-one ? Please say no.
I don't use teamwork, but wouldn't you have all 58 texture folders inside one parent folder that you can load?
This is what I do for my stand alone files.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Barry wrote:
philips wrote:
I don't use teamwork, but wouldn't you have all 58 texture folders inside one parent folder that you can load?
This is what I do for my stand alone files.

Barry.

Further on from that, if you're not wanting everything, could you not just host a cut down version on the BIMServer?

*I don't use teamwork either...
philips wrote:
A clipping planes is in a cut plane that is always perpendicular to the camera and, what is most important, doesn't affect the light. Idea is to put a camera outside a small room with focal lenght lets say 50mm and render the room interior. Nearly every architectural design has a toilet that is small (2-4m2) and without clipping planes there is no way to render them. You can either use cutiing planes what lets skylight inside (useless) or make the camera angle extremely wide (useless).

I think some others suggested setting a wall to Wireframe to view things like that, though that does mean created a separate layer to toggle individual walls...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660