BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Editable master layout items

It should be possible to place layout items such as drawings and text boxes on a master layout and then edit it with different content for individual layouts while being able to control the position of the element from the maters layout. See InDesign for example.

This would make it much easier and efficient to secure consistency across presentations/drawings without having to rely on trace reference.

5 REPLIES 5

Just realised that this would require the ability to base a master on another master as to avoid bloat - so one master for the drawing frame and one master for content layout.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I would like to understand this wish better before submitting it to Graphisoft.

Could you provide examples (possibly screenshots) of how this would work? For example, show two Layout instances where you can see the difference in the appearance/content of those editable Master Layouts items?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lingwisyer
Guru

You say like in InDesign but when you pop out a master element there, to say add text, it does not update it's position if you later move the master element?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

@Lingwisyer 

For InDesign - if you just add content to a frame placed on a master the link will be kept and the frames position and size can be controlled from the master.

If you change position or size of the frame on a page then the link will break. If so, deleting the item on the master will leave it on the page with its content but reapplying the master will delete the frame content and reset its position size to master. I don't think it is possible to reset size and  position while keeping the content - although it definitely should.

@Laszlo Nagy  

Unfortunately not easiest UI/UX to demo and InDesign is not a good example beyond the functionality. The main issue for getting this to work in AC is that it currently isn't possible to place empty or placeholder drawing/text/figure items and perhaps a proper preview/thumbnail functionality- otherwise its fairly straight forward digital layout workflow. 

But below is an example with where the A master has the layout frame and other static elements while B master which is based on A has items which content might vary across pages (the two frames with dotted borders) . Populating a frame with individual page content turns the border from dotted to solid on the page and removing it on the master thumbnail. 

In the second picture the position of the frame has been moved on the master - and automatically at every page with the master applied. 

thesleepofreason_1-1709639031915.png

thesleepofreason_2-1709639720961.png

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

OK, I get it now. So, basically, the position (X,Y coordinates) of a Drawing element on a Master Layouts is parametric and can be different on each Master Layout.

Also, if I understand correctly, there can be a hierarchy and inheritance between Master Layouts.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!