Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

MOD file publishing

Lukas Zeleny
Enthusiast
Archicad is able to publish Module (.MOD) file only from Floor plans Views, It would be handy to be able to publish also other Views like 3D views or other preset selections

In large scale projects and urban project is working with module essentials but we lack the ability to update them more automatic. Many times you need model only from section of building or model and now you have to save it from selection manually. Updates are then time consuming.
BIM Manager at SIEBERT+TALAŠ
www.sieberttalas.com
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Moderator
Obviously I have no idea of exactly what you are trying to do.
But when you 'save selection as module', you have an option to replace the selection with the module.
Then you will have a MOD file (which you would have had even with out this option) that you can modify should you need to make changes to it.
Because you replaced the original selection, it will update as you change the MOD file (and simply save it) together with all the other linked modules.
No need to actually publish anything - just update the original MOD file then update all other files that have the MOD hotlink in it.

The only downside I see to this is that the MOD is now in a separate file if you need to edit it, so you won't have that contextual interaction with the rest of the model if you need it for editing purposes.
Unless you hotlink the main file into the MOD file - ignoring nested modules so it doesn't bring in the same module you are trying to edit.


Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lukas Zeleny
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:
Obviously I have no idea of exactly what you are trying to do.
But when you 'save selection as module', you have an option to replace the selection with the module.
Then you will have a MOD file (which you would have had even with out this option) that you can modify should you need to make changes to it.
Because you replaced the original selection, it will update as you change the MOD file (and simply save it) together with all the other linked modules.
No need to actually publish anything - just update the original MOD file then update all other files that have the MOD hotlink in it.

The only downside I see to this is that the MOD is now in a separate file if you need to edit it, so you won't have that contextual interaction with the rest of the model if you need it for editing purposes.
Unless you hotlink the main file into the MOD file - ignoring nested modules so it doesn't bring in the same module you are trying to edit.


Barry.
I dont want to replace part of model with module. I want to export this part ind use it in other model. Yes now I can select it and save as mod. But next time when I change something I have to select it again and replace the previous mod file. Simple publish buttom woud be faster and less prone to human error.
BIM Manager at SIEBERT+TALAŠ
www.sieberttalas.com
Barry Kelly
Moderator
Lukas wrote:
I want to export this part ind use it in other model.

That is the whole idea of creating a MOD file, you can use it as many times as you want in as many files as you want.

Lukas wrote:
Yes now I can select it and save as mod. But next time when I change something I have to select it again and replace the previous mod file.

That is why I said that you edit the saved MOD file when you want to make changes.
The problem is that it is the module on its own so you don't have the context of the rest of the model around it - unless you hotlink in the entire model into the MOD file.

Actually it doesn't even need to be a .MOD file, it can just be saved as a .PLN file as well.
You can HOTLINK either .PLN or .MOD files.
.MOD file only contain the attributes they use where as a .PLN file will contain all attributes in the model, even if they are not used.


Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
zoli79
Enthusiast

Lukas, I completely agree with you! My experience is that GS helpdesk people not always understand how and why some of us use modules.
I just tested ArchiCAD 26 publishing options, and still no solution to manual saving, which can be very time consuming when you have a multilevel module system. If I can save a whole lot of model exports from a 3D window, why can't I publish a module?

macOS 16, ArchiCAD 27 (USA)
first ArchiCAD: 6.5

 

 


@zoli79 wrote:

why can't I publish a module?


You can if that is what you set the Publisher up to do.

 

BarryKelly_0-1677203780165.png

 

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11