Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Published PDF Large Size

henrysaxby
Contributor

Hello Archicad Community,

I'm working on a project that has about 20 drawings. These are large/complex plan drawings of a full floor of a tower block, full of partition walls, offices, chairs etc. When I export the drawings, the majority export as PDF between 200-500KB, with three drawings in the package exporting at 11MB.

I can't figure out why these three drawings are coming out so large, and the architect I'm working for is persisting with me that I need to reduce the file size. 

So far I have:

- Consolidated Lines (rid of thousands of lines)

- Consolidated Fills & Deleted unnecessary 

- Deleted everything that isn't required

- Purged layers that are unnecessary

- Attempted to reduce file size in Acrobat (made file bigger!)

- Attempted to reduce file size in Apple Preview (Made file bigger!)

The three drawings are all based off the same level, but not all drawings created from this level are causing the overt size issue. Also, when I work on this level or with the drawing that is placed on the layout, the computer moves incredibly slowly.

Is there anything that anyone can recommend I try that might help to get the file size down on these three drawings?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Henry. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.55.34 pm.png
4 REPLIES 4
mija
Enthusiast

Hi, have you tried pdf options in archicad? Also, could be too much fills honestly...

mija_0-1676368760106.pngmija_1-1676368775013.pngmija_2-1676368783533.png

Archicad 25, build 4013
Montenegro

Hi Mija,

Thanks for the quick reply! I've just tried the PDF document options, thinking that if I didn't export layers, it may help. Sadly it hasn't made a difference.

I've just double checked how many fills are in the drawing. There's only 23 fills, solid black, that represent the columns passing through the floors. There are a number of fills that are not part of the drawing (layers that are turned off), so I didn't think they'd impact the drawing?

Thanks for your help though, it's greatly appreciated! 

Henry! 

Large PDF files are usually a symptom of there being images or image fills and complex fills added to the view. Was all the data drawn in Archicad? Sometimes translation of DWG fills can cause file size issues too. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
henrysaxby
Contributor

I have figured it out! 

There was a 3D object of a planter box that was used in the drawings (in plan view only showing in 2D), that was very polygon heavy. I created a new 2D object that was a basic outline of the planter box. There were 3 of them on each of the 3 drawings that were having issues. The drawings have gone from 11MB to 260KB.  

Far more reasonable! 

Thanks so much for your input and advice! 

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 11.38.39 am.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-15 at 11.40.41 am.png