cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Vectorial Shadows in ELevation - AC10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys,

Just a quick questions on Vectorial Shadows in elevation.

Say I have two buildings, A and B.

Building A is the proposed new building.

Building B is the existing neighboring building.

How can I see the vectorial over-shadowing effects of Building A on Building B in elevation?

My problem is that the section marker only shows what is in front of it. Thus if I move it in front of building B, it only shows the shadow effects of building B on itself without regards to the new building A.

But if I move the section marker in front of building A, then it visually blocks out building B.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Newxieland
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
A screen image / Plan would help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry guys knew I forgot something 😉

Anyhow here is the attached JPEG.

I want to show the effects of the shadowing due to building A on the elevation of building B.

Cheers,

Newxieland
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now I understand.

But I still don't have an answer for you, sorry. Can't think how you would do that in an elevation view. Even copying / pasting from a 3D view would be hard to set up 'cos you have to set up a parallel view, but from between the two buildings, and I'm not sure how you'd do that and still have building A considered but not shown.
Rakela Raul
Participant
please do a search....there is a trick with glass/transparency i think..

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=25202&highlight=shadows+two+buildings#25202
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Stress Co_
Advisor
Rakela wrote:
please do a search....there is a trick with glass/transparency i think..
HERE
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Rakela Raul
Participant
thanku Marc,

mmm im feeling good about my left over neurons
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies and links guys

But I'm still a little confused about the work around process in using glass.
map adjoining property with glass material and turn Transparency in Shading ON in 3D window settings. Put section behind the adjoining property (so you will see the elevation of your building through). Then unlink the section and delete all undesired lines.
So... I take it that I should change all of the material of building A to glass and then put the section line behind it ?

But if I do that, even if the material is glass, in section it'll just become opaque....

I guess it'll work if you render a sectional view in the 3D engine although you can't exactly render at a particular scale.

Hmmmmm....
Anonymous
Not applicable
New_Xieland wrote:
Thanks for the replies and links guys

But I'm still a little confused about the work around process in using glass.
map adjoining property with glass material and turn Transparency in Shading ON in 3D window settings. Put section behind the adjoining property (so you will see the elevation of your building through). Then unlink the section and delete all undesired lines.
So... I take it that I should change all of the material of building A to glass and then put the section line behind it ?

But if I do that, even if the material is glass, in section it'll just become opaque....

I guess it'll work if you render a sectional view in the 3D engine although you can't exactly render at a particular scale.

Hmmmmm....
Turn Transparency ON, but this will of course affect Building B also. And won't you still get outlines of Building A elements if the section line is beyond it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay here's what i did:

Converted the existing building into glass. I think the best way is to save the entire model as a gsm. so then you can change all the material in one go.

It was kinda tricky because you can't save the entire model as a single gsm and I had to do it individually for each storey and then group them together.
Model in Glass.jpg