cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Associative dimensions for design options.

DNU
Booster

A request for dimension lines to be associative with the elements they are linked to in design options. Currently, dimensions have to be placed for each design option. When elements from a specific design option are hidden, the corresponding part of the dimension line should also be hidden.

DNU_1-1718953547602.png

DNU_0-1718953520667.png

AC 14 - 27
WIN 11
GDL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Thanks for the feedback on this.

We've been considering a way for dimension nodes to auto hide with the connect elements - like Labels can do. So for any reason an element hides; like Design Options, Renovation, Layers etc; the node could potentially auto hide as well.

So far this is just a thought process.

But happy for any additional feedback on this.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @DNU,

I think it’s easier if you relink those dims to the same design option so the wall & dims can appear/disappear together.

AC 27 INT 5030/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Hello Mahmoud,

That is indeed what we need to do now: set the dimension line twice. However, I am trying to avoid duplication of work and notice that this is sometimes forgotten, leading to mistakes. So actually, it is not the entire line that needs to be associative, but only the dimension node.

AC 14 - 27
WIN 11
GDL

I am not sure if it will be possible, but I like the idea.

The same would apply when dimensioning elements that have their layer turned off.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I really can’t see any duplication, especially when you activate the desired DO before modeling & dimensioning but in case you forgot to dimension in the same DO you can select & relink it.

I see the way you suggest will make it harder to guess which node relates to which DO while the main dimension line relates to what, The main model?

AC 27 INT 5030/WIN 11

Hi Barry,

I agree with your idea to hide the dimension relates to the element in the same DO when we hide its layer, as it’s being deleted when we delete the element, I hope If you create a wish for this idea.

AC 27 INT 5030/WIN 11
Solution
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Thanks for the feedback on this.

We've been considering a way for dimension nodes to auto hide with the connect elements - like Labels can do. So for any reason an element hides; like Design Options, Renovation, Layers etc; the node could potentially auto hide as well.

So far this is just a thought process.

But happy for any additional feedback on this.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

Thanks @James B for sharing these good news with us, we like to see Archicad as easy to learn & fun to use and no more mysteries😊.

AC 27 INT 5030/WIN 11

Thank you James

I'm glad to hear Graphisoft is thinking about enhancing the functionality of dimension nodes. The idea of having dimension nodes auto-hide alongside connected elements sounds promising, and it could certainly streamline the design process.

We are looking forward to it!

AC 14 - 27
WIN 11
GDL